Dreaming of Geese

Miss Ducky

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
Michigan
I'd really like some geese. It's probably not going to happen while I'm still living at home (still have most of high school plus college) but I have some theoretical questions. Shhh!! Don't tell my parents, haha! Right now I have 3 ducks, khaki campbells. Would the geese get along with them? Could they live in the same house (4' by 4') okay? Do geese need companion geese like ducks? Could I just get one goose? Would she be okay with the ducks? Friendliest breed? I fell in love with Sebastopols, any info on them? Thanks!

The goose probably wouldn't not get along with the ducks, but it'd be happiest with another goose. 4x4 would be a bit on the small side for 3 ducks and 2 geese.

When I adopted Gordon, an older Embden, he got along just fine with my ducks. He stayed in the same enclosure with my calls and never bothered anyone. Keep in mind he was living at a rescue with lots of other ducks and geese. But he did great. He now has Leilani, my sebbie and he seems very happy. I have really enjoyed my geese. I have never owned a young male so I have not dealt with that aggression issue. I hear it can be bad. I've been lucky with mine. Good luck if you decide to get some.

I've never had a problem with my ducks and geese living together. However, all my geese grew up with ducks. A few of my ducks like to run out to the pasture and dig around in the cow pies and lately the canadian geese have decided to stop by and hang out with them a few hours a day. My ducks have showed the wild geese where all the water stations are on the farm and the geese follow them around sometimes in single file... it's very cute to watch. Unfortunately, yesterday they also showed them where the hanging feeder resides. Bad ducks. No more food for anyone till the geese move on.

Oddly enough, the wild geese have shown no interest in my domestic geese.

The first goose I got lived only with other ducks and though she got along very well with them she always seemed different. I broke down and bought another goose for her. At first I thought I had made a big mistake because not only would she have nothing to do with the young gander, she hounded him mercilessly. When I got him she was about half his size, but she would attack him and hang off his feathers as he tried to run away. There would be Rommy running like crazy and Ranaya would be attached to his wing flapping off the ground. It was funny to watch but a bit concerning at the same time because all he would have had to do is turn around and bite at her and it would have been all over. He never did. As time went on they spent more and more time with each other. Geese are grazers and they eat differently than ducks do. Though Ranaya still considers herself a duck, calling all her ducks to her when they get out of sight, her best friend is Rommy.

Remember that geese can live for a very long time so bringing one into your life as a pet is a long term commitment.

I hope this helps.

I have a white chinese and she gets along great with my ducks. I have had her since she was 2 weeks old. She is feeling her oats lately though and has challenged me a couple of times. Got herself locked in her pen the other day for being a pain. Maybe she's not a she? LOL! Anyhow, she is a great watch dog and can be very loud - even compared to over 40 ducks!
smile.png

PS She's for sale if anyone in N.FL. is interested.....

Thanks! There's probably no chance of me getting any more animals until after college, but I'll keep this in mind!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom