Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Pics
How did the reunion go, Jim? Hope you "kids" had fun!

Thanks for the advice on dropping the tree. Frank, who has a job in town, hasn't shown up yet. And, I'm okay with that. Yesterday, Carolyn and I installed a new fence out by the compost area -- and I use that term loosely because mostly it's used coop stuff, not well turned or integrated like real compost. The fence material looks to be some sort of used 13-foot-long pallet that had been out here for years.

I was in charge of pounding the heavy-duty metal posts into the ground that were then lashed to the fence's vertical posts with wire -- one of the few times I haven't used zip ties for fencing :)! The fence was a heavy beast, and we lifted/dragged it quite a ways. It screens the view, and I had some rustic metal yard art pieces that we fastened to the front to class it up a little. All materials where already here, so the only cost of the fence was some sore muscles.

How's the broody Leghorn doing, Anjanet? My sweet Blue Cochin Bantam has finally gotten over her broodiness. I was tempted to let Maxie hatch eggs, but the CB rooster is such a jerk that I was worried he would pass his ornery genes onto another generation.

I'm quite jealous about the tart cherries -- but happy for you! The first tree I planted here was a sour cherry tree because we had one back home. Mine has never produced well, but this year I counted ONE cherry -- and something got to that one before I did!

The bargain honeydew plants I picked up on clearance are doing great; I wish they would inspire my yellow squash to try harder. There's still plenty of foliage and nothing else.

Carolyn is multitalented and, at one point, was a professional seamstress. She is making cushion covers for two of my chairs and an ottoman. I have a simple sewing machine; she brought her serger and has taken over the dining room.

Hey, while we were at Menards yesterday,, staring at the array of air nozzles and wondering which one I needed, an employee actually approached us, asked if he could help and seemed to know what he was talking about. I haven't tried the nozzle yet -- there were two sizes and he recommended the smaller one -- but at least there was effort there. It shouldn't be surprising, but it was. And, I thanked him sincerely!

Thanks for asking. The reunion went very well. We had a little rain, but she had a tent set up . One girl showed up and cleared up a mystery about her brother's disappearance . there were many theories about that for the past sixty years. He left to join the military.
Didn't say goodbye to anyone.
Sister had a microphone and passed it around to anybody who had a story.
there were some funny stories told about other people.
there were about twenty "kids" and most with spouses. good turnout
way more food than we could eat.
I did my best .
every once in awhile I run into somebody at Menard's who knows something. It renews my faith in my fellow man.
Home Depot used to have an expert in each department. Now they barely have enough people to keep the shelves stocked.
Your compost does not have to decay on a pile. there is a system called trench composting. just bury it. it all rots in due time.
My Dad used this method.
Just dig a hole and cover the food scraps etc. then there is a hole ready for the next batch. cover the food with the dirt from the next hole and so on and so on. You can do this between your garden rows and next year move your rows over to the composted rows.

I decided to go full bore and do a valve job. If it goes well, it should not take too long.
I had a good session at therapy today. I hurt like heck when he got done, but as the day went by I felt better and better. I hope it lasts.
get ready for a hot spell next few days.

Got a few small tomatoes today. Cucumbers are about to start. They have tiny cucumbers on them. I think I will also have some green beans next week. I'm thankful for the rain. I hate watering. It's the only downside to these raised boxes. We always meant to put in a sprinkle system but seems like more work than it's worth.

I'm glad we are already about half way through July. I'm not looking forward to the warmer weather next week.

Glad the therapy is helping Jim. Sleeping better?

I have better things to do rather than water plants. so far I have lucked out and the rain keeps coming when it is needed.
Last night we had a thunderstorm. after the thunder quit, it rained for over two hours.
I am making headway with the valve job on the lawnmower. I had all the bolts out but the head was still stuck on. Today I looked very closely and found a hidden bolt behind the exhaust manifold.
I had to remove the manifold to get at the bolt. tadaaa the head came right off.
I cleaned and adjusted the sticky valves.
had company show up so the saga will continue tomorrow.

We got 4 inches last night. Really came down. The basement flooded just a bit, and the ditches are running a lot of water. Definitely don't need to water for a while. Ducks are happy too. That sure was a shocker.

Last night saw some critters out by my garden. Not sure if they were raccoons or that fox family. There was 3 of them. After those ran off my 3 neutered male cats can strutting out of the same area. I've seen them face off with the fox. They are a tough coalition of cats, and don't like intruders.

Four inches of rain? Wow! I don't want that much because I would also have a flooded basement and full ditches. But my lawn is pretty brown and crunchy right now. And, I am quite tired of watering everything. I have learned during previous droughts that I have one of the deeper, more reliable wells in this area, thank goodness.

Sounds like you have a tough gang of felines!

Jim, your company may have stalled your project; mine forced me to do more work. While my sister was visiting, we spent much of our time doing outdoor projects, and housework was not a priority. Knowing my hometown friend and her kids were coming over yesterday, I spent a lot of time dusting, sweeping and scrubbing. I even went into town and bought beverages -- lemonade. fruit juices and tea -- because I wasn't sure what they would like.

Turns out, no one set foot in the house. It was really hot and I don't have A.C., so we sat on the deck, under the shade tree and enjoyed the breeze. And, no one wanted anything to drink. Oh, well. At least I have a cleaner house and plenty beverages.

Lea and I bored her kids with memories of our grade school teachers. I had forgotten how Mrs. V would walk up behind a few of the boys, grab them by their shoulders and shake them when they misbehaved. She sure couldn't do that today.

And. Mrs. H -- the most intimidating teacher/principal ever -- had tears coming down her face when she walked into our classroom to tell us that President Kennedy was dead.

I picked my first kohl rabi last night, and I expect those cherry tomatoes to finally be ripe and ready today.

Good morning, I have let the chickens out and cleaned up their nightly droppings BEFORE coffee! It was starting to sweat a little-it is so thick outside and foggy. Crazy year here for sure. We had a nice rain yesterday, got an inch or so, it was well needed and glad I didn't have to water because like you, Jim, I have better things to do!

The broody is doing well, thanks for asking Barbara. I candled eggs this morning-I am no expert that is for sure as this is my first time with fertile eggs for hatching and my flashlight was so-so, but I think 5 for sure are good and 3 I "thought" I saw veins but they are dark brown ones so hard for me to tell. I put a mark on them and will check in a couple days with a better flashlight. My project for the next couple weeks is to jimmy rig a spot for her that includes one of the lower nesting boxes and space for food and water for a week or so with the chicks. and I need to also modify the steps from the coop to the ground, it isn't tall 18" at best, but I only have a cinder block there for the girls now and it will be a tad of a mountain to accomplish for chicks.

I will be picking the last of the cherries today. Barbara, I wish you were closer I would have definitely shared. This year was a bumper crop for sure. I canned 15 1/2 pints so far, my mom and aunt picked 4 gallon pails and I just picked a metal mixing bowl for my sister.

Jim, glad to hear the reunion went well, I haven't gone to any of mine yet. Also, hope the neck therapy is helping with sleeping and just overall daily pain.

Lisa, hope those critters don't steal too much from your garden and that those Tom cats take them down (but stay safe in the process). And 4 inches of rain! I would have a flooded basement and barn! Hopefully it doesn't bring on too many weeds or mosquitos.

It is going to get HOT and steamy here in the next week, I will be working on the garden-hopefully harvesting and making sure the broody hen eats and drinks. I was able to harvest 6 Lemon Boy tomatoes so far, a half bowl of beans and 2 watermelon yesterday, so today will be a day of enjoy the hard work that comes before the fruit. I also have TONS of laundry to do as my oldest, who will be 16 next Friday, just came back from camp yesterday.

Hope you all have a good day, I will try to check back in more often, for some reason this thread doesn't always pop up on my feed!

Hi all, I don't know how I got so far behind on this thread. I am on the computer several times a day.
Yes, the last therapy session was a very good one. I sleep in two to three hour increments . Not because of the pain , it is just something I do.
Today Annie brought a baby rabbit to me to see. It couldn't have been more than a few days old. Yesterday, DD Barby saw six baby rabbits eating clover in the hay field.
Something dragged a dog kennel out onto the lawn. Annie was going to put it back. She got stung three times. There is a bee's nest inside of it. I suspect a raccoon moved the kennel. Other people suspect a bear.
I started putting the lawn mower back together. So far so good.
I never could get watermelon to grow to maturity.
So far I have not had to water things . the rains have come just in the nick of time.
I could use a trio of cats like that. They could have good eating until the rabbits and red squirrels ran out.

My husband discovered a nest of angry hornets while weed wacking. He got stung once. Nest has been sprayed. Last night when I took the dogs out for final outs a hornet kept attacking my head. Good thing I put on a coat. Now I know where it came from. Very aggressive. Hope Annie is okay Jim. Those stings hurt.

The downside to the three male cats is they attack one of the females every time they see her. She lives at the neighbors now and comes to eat every few days. They occasionally go after the other female, but she puts them in their place. They have killed chipmunk and big rats. So we put up with them.

Lots of blossoms on my beans. Gonna be picked and freezing a bunch soon.

Having troubles finding corn on the cob to buy. Not sure if it's too early or if there's a shortage. Tried to buy frozen and the store I was at didn't have any. Will have to check Wal-Mart next time and stock up.

Back
Top Bottom