Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

we both love little kids. but we are pushing 80 and they are only 6 and 8.
we are not used to having mini people here. the 6 yr old girl had too much sugar , I think.. both of them kept testing mom.. they live part time with mom and part time with dad. so the testing goes on. I think mom wanted to swat them a few times, but didn't know how we would react . lol
next time I will give her the go ahead and watch for a reaction from the kids.
after they left, it was a period of time getting used to the quiet.
Anjanet. I would take the easy way out and do something with the naughty hen. pen her up, or make some soup. but that's me. I never had many pet chickens.

Anjanet my garden is doing well. I just need to get out there and tame some of the wild. I think there's some beets that need harvesting. With cooler weather this week I may get to them, and roast them along with some potatoes. Those are drying back and will need harvesting soon. Husband puts on some gloves and goes digging like a dog. Works well in my raised boxes as long as we don't hit a rotten one.

Jim, I hear ya--I am all about the easy way out but the HUBBY (yes you read that right) wants to give her a fair chance to be nice. HA, I just want peace in the coop and to let mama hen do her thing! I gave her one more week, if she can't behave my aunt and uncle have said they would take her on their farm and she could free range on their 80 acres, which is much more room than our 4 :)

Well I got 4 meals of sweet corn and one of beans blanched and frozen this morning :) I will be making salsa this afternoon, I think about 1 load full.

I have to mow the lawn, but I don't know when to fit it in between other chores, canning and my oldest having a drs appt tonight. Sigh.

Have been doing some meet and greets with the mama hen, chicks and other flock members. Taking the older hens and putting them in with mama and chicks. It has been going well, she has chased and pecked at 2 of the 6 but otherwise everyone mingles and even eat together. I think I will continue this until the weekend when they are 2 weeks old and then open up the new section so that mama can take them out into the big run area. I need to get 2 more feeders and 1 more waterer today when I go to the feed store so that there are multiple stations. Hopefully it goes well. Chicks are learning to stick closer to mama when other girls are around.

I can't believe that we have 3 more weeks and school starts for both kids! I will have a 3rd grader and a Senior in HS, and both are starting new schools.

Hope you all are enjoying this really nice weather we are having :)

I do prefer this weather. We are gonna cut hay today. Hopefully it stays dry till Friday. Hard to pick a time because the weather people always toss chance of rain in there.

Sounds like your garden is finally producing Anjanet. I nearly have enough tomatoes to freeze a whole quart. We will get there. :) Luckily I don't need too many.

We don't have any kids unless I count the dogs. I remember dreading going back to school. :oops:

Funny, I have been planning my trip up North for months, but there's still been a ton to do in the last couple of days. The whole thing got upended yesterday when my sister called to say that she has COVID. So, I will be making the trip alone for the first time ever; it's about eight hours from here. I've only ever gone with Carolyn or Jim.

Aside from missing her company and feeling badly for her -- because she cried through a couple of phone calls yesterday -- it also means a new menu. She was bringing all the food for Jim's memorial service; she and her husband own a grocery store and a catering business. Now, I have to have a new game plan -- and a bigger budget.

That's life, I guess.

Anyway, I'm still going to escape the heat, see some old friends and share memories of Jim in a place that he loved. So, it's going to be okay.

Hope everybody else's plans for the week work out!

Barb, sorry to hear that your trip got turned a little sideways. I do hope there is some peace found in the company of beautiful country and wonderful friends.

Anyone else fall garden? I do usually but this year I am just not feeling it. I mean I should with all the food concerns there are but.....

Sounds like a mother hot and steamy weekend coming up, I wouldn't mind keeping this weather we have been having ;)

Our dog goes in for some oral surgery tomorrow, she is 9 and have some issues eating so hopefully this helps. One more thing to add to the plate, lol.

Back
Top Bottom