Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Barb, I like auctions too, but they do not like me.
I have bought things that I never used, ever..
Once I was at an auction with a guy. He told me to
watch for two small stained glass windows while he
headed to the rest room. They came up, he wasn't
back so I bid on them. I got them. He came back
and asked me what I bid. I told him. He said, Oh,
that's too much, I don't want them.. So I kept them
for a few years. finally sold them to my brother.
He kept them for about a year, then GAVE them
back to me. I came out on that one when I finally
sold them to somebody else..
today I am going to the Dr for my annual checkup.
I am going to try to get a referral for my headaches.
Somebody must know how to release the tight
muscles that are causing them.
I tried therapy, chiropractic, and some acupuncture.
all were temporary fixes..

Good luck at the doctor today Jim.

I have never been to an auction, I have looked at an online one based out of the Chippewa Falls area but didn't bid. I like to garage sale, but similar to what I think an auction would be like for me is that I buy stuff because it is a good deal but don't really need or use it.

We have enjoyed the nice weather over the last few days, and got a lot of stuff done outside. We went and cleared out some trees up where we want to build the house some day. Cut and stacked wood, of course, lol. Also, got a couple new pallet garden areas started by the chicken coop for next spring-it will be just for them (lettuce and herbs).

We are supposed to get close to 5 inches of snow tomorrow, so the nice weather was good while it lasted. I hope to get out today after I am done with work at 12:30 for the afternoon and enjoy the sun. Youngest is home today and is having a friend over, they can run through the trees, lol.

Deep cleaned the house yesterday, everyone helped, it was nice. Got 4 boxes of stuff dropped off at Goodwill, mostly old toys and stuff from the kids' toy room.

The dr. appt. went well. He said I am in good shape,,,,,
for an old man.
He referred me to an ostiopath. My DD went to this one.
she said he helped her .
dr. asked me if I wanted him to prescribe narcotics.
I flatly turned that down. I am on enough meds.
it is really dark out today. it looks like it could snow..
my oldest sister has mom's rocking chair. she wants to
get rid of it. the picture of it looks like my grandpa's chair.
I told her I would take it. We are going to meet half way
between Wausau and Madison at the Pioneer Restaurant.
I will take her my fire wood hauler to trade.
Pioneer has really good pies.

Glad to hear the doctor visit went well, Jim. Good for you on turning down the narcotics. It's something I've done, too. When my pelvis was fractured, they wanted to give me fentanyl; I took one dose and refused any more.

Lisa, I hope you didn't get too much of that treacherous ice!

Anjanet, congratulations on all your activity! My sister came up to visit Monday, and we are doing our usual flurry of projects -- many of which are "need to's," not "want to's."

When we headed into town yesterday, there was a tiny bit of sleety rain. By the time we came home, the roads were like glass, and her first attempt to get into my driveway failed by several feet. We ended up using a farm field turn-around and c-r-e-e-p-i-n-g slowly back into the driveway.

Sounds like you all got too much snow for my liking. We really only got a little skiff of snow here, but the wind nearly blew my back across the road when I ventured out to check the mailbox.

We had a great window of opportunity to hang heavy duty tarps on the two new chicken runs on Monday afternoon. It was 50 degrees, sunny and not too windy. However, we started on another project and waited until it was too dark to get started. We will now attempt to hang tarps while it is pretty cold and really breezy.

Monday was the Great Mouse Adventure -- a little mouse appeared on my staircase in the morning and with only a dust cloth in my hand, all I managed was to knock it off the stairs. When it reached the first floor, my crazy smaller dog gave chase. Dinah spent most of the day mouse hunting as the mouse would sprint from behind the bookcase to behind the Hoosier cabinet to behind the dog crate.

It took about 12 hours, but eventually, she frightened the little critter into one of the no-kill traps I had assembled along that wall, and I took Mousy out to the barn, where I am hopeful it remains.

Last night, we briefly recreated our childhood. We put up and decorated my big Christmas tree (I didn't even drag it out of the box last year), while Burl Ives sang to us as "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" played out on TV. It was great!

Barb, that sounds like an amazing night. It is nice that you have a good relationship with your sister. My sister and I are not close, never really have been, so we don't see much of each other at all.

We ended up with about 8 inches of snow. DH will plow this morning, I shoveled him a path from the garage to the house to walk on last night when he got home from work and shoveled a path to the chicken coop. It is cold and windy here--they say around 19F but with the windchill only in the single digits. I am not looking forward to letting the chickens out and thawing water today. I haven't plugged in the two dog bowls yet as the chicks are almost 6 weeks old and I don't want them falling in and freezing to death. Tomorrow will be above freezing until Sunday, so I will continue to thaw or take out fresh water every couple hours. (Oh the thinks I do for these chickens, lol)

Today will be a quiet day. Lots of desk work to do, might fit in some baking (made banana cake yesterday) and some laundry. I will be giving my favorite uncle a call tonight to chat, he is a retired farmer and county financial worker, who lives out in Western MN, still on his original farm. He is in his early 70s and is battling Parkinson's Disease and just found out he has cancer and had his first chemo yesterday. Life stinks sometimes.

Maybe I will paint my toenails! Ha! Stay warm friends.

Back
Top Bottom