Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

It is settled, Randy will be leaving us next week friday.
In March our license expires. Annie is not going to
renew it. We are going to see how it feels to live with
just the two of us. we have been doing the assisted
living for 17 years. I was sick of it 16 years ago. lol
Annie went in for labs yesterday. she came home
just in time for me to leave for the osteopath appt.
it will be nice when we can both leave together and
not worry about hurrying home . since Randy became
wheelchair bound we never left together.
Annie said he was feeling a little sad yesterday. we think
it hit him that he will not have anybody bring him happy meals
from McD's any more. He will not have his choice of what
he wants to eat for every meal, anymore. he will not have
a private room, at least right away.. I wonder who will control
the tv remote ?? lol
ever since he came to us, five years ago, he talked about
moving out.. he finally got his wish..

Jim, you're probably familiar with the old saying that nobody likes change except a wet baby. But, it sounds like change will be the best thing for all involved.

It will be nice that you and Annie can leave together and take your time getting home. And, Randy will have some adjustments to make but likely will find benefits to his new life, too.

Today's weather may crawl out of the single digits, but once the cold breaks, it looks like above-freezing temps are on the way. That should melt the mountains of leftover snow that is still dry and fluffy enough to drift over the ramp, which I shoveled three times yesterday.

I am trying to figure out what to plant when spring finally arrives. I hope it doesn't take its time getting here.

I am starting to get the itch to start planting. Yikes! It was 7 degrees today. Not sure why I got the gardening bug already. it is too soon to start seeds, right? lol
Not for some perennials or annuals like petunia. Those take a while to germinate and get some size on them.

I am starting to get the itch to start planting. Yikes! It was 7 degrees today. Not sure why I got the gardening bug already. it is too soon to start seeds, right? lol
the sudden heat wave must have gotten to you.
there you go Wyo. there are chicken enablers
and then there are plant enablers..
the kids showed up with our new baby.
I got to hold him for a long time. he sure is
a good boy.. might fuss a little, but I haven't
heard him cry.. Kalib has really stepped into
his daddy role nicely. I guess there must be a
reason for the nine month wait. gives a guy
time to adjust..

I slept in until five thirty today. must be some kind of record.
the moon is visible through the north window in our bedroom.
that is rare..
baby's gramma and great aunt coming today.
we will have lasagna..
there is still at least one cat hanging out in the garage.
I hope he stays at least for part of the summer.
Annie keeps feed in his dish, but you know how tom cats are.

Anyone else starting onions soon? I plan on getting mine in some trays and on the heat mat later today! I'm so excited. I also have some pansies and other cool weather flowers I'm gonna start as well.

Spring isn't here yet, but we can feel a little closer to it when little seedlings are popping up under the grow lights!!! :)

Anyone else starting onions soon? I plan on getting mine in some trays and on the heat mat later today! I'm so excited. I also have some pansies and other cool weather flowers I'm gonna start as well.

Spring isn't here yet, but we can feel a little closer to it when little seedlings are popping up under the grow lights!!! :)
I miss pansys. Maybe I will pick up seeds next week.

I usually direct seed my green onions and I no long grow onions from sets as I can't eat them anymore. Used to grow a lot of them. Now I just buy the sweet onions from Aldi as those I can handle.

that would be a very sad day for me when I
could not eat onions. So far I can eat them
in any form. :old
the best sized onions I ever grew were the
ones I planted seeds directly into the garden.
I grew head lettuce one year. got a whole row
of nice promising heads. then one day it got
hot and they all rotted. they were all about fist sized.

I love onions, and I plant some every year. Every year, I am disappointed by smallish onions and how often varmints "harvest" before I get a chance. Of course, the little jerks don't eat the onions, just leave them dug up on the ground.

Despite my gardening failures -- far too many to list here -- I will again plant veggies this spring, when it FINALLY gets here. Weather was up to 40 yesterday; this morning there is a fine layer of misty snow on the ground. Grrrr!

Back
Top Bottom