Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Happy New Year. I got leaf lettuce growing in my basement, some for the wife and I and some for the chickens. Garden plan is the same as every year corn and beans for the freezer, kohlrabi, zucchini, carrots , peppers and tomato. o yeah and pumpkin for the chickens.
Are you growing the lettuce in soil? I want to grow some here in winter too as soon as I have room. Waiting on some fish tanks to be done, but apparently once you are okay if the fish die they decide to live for decades. In the meantime I've been looking into the best way to successfully grow lead lettuce.

I grew head lettuce one year in the garden. planted it from seed. I had a nice row with a few dozen heads. they got a little bigger than softball size.. looked really nice.
then one day we had a hot sun and the whole batch wilted..
That was a dirty trick. Never tried head lettuce. I'm terrified of eating a slug.

slugs move pretty slow. you shouldn't have any trouble catching one before you eat it.
I had to give up growing broccoli because of the green worms. Took one bowl of microwaved broccoli and bugs and I had enough. Bring on the store bought with a side of pesticides for me.

Back
Top Bottom