Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the middle of a Wisconsin winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
No, but that is a good idea, about dehydrating in the car. Lol, I drive carefully with my flats in the car. 

Gardening has made me a better driver! 
so Funny, do you talk to them and tell them to hold on around corners.

That never occurred to me, I blow a fan at mine to strengthen them, I probably should be taking them out for a ride instead.

Definitely should be taking them for a ride. They'll be well traveled. You can call them your sophisticated or worldly tomatoes. My plan in the garden is for the soil to never see the light of day. But, it's amazing how fast the mulch melts into the soil! Thus, the conversion this year to BTE. Grass clippings are too valuable to me to allow them to be mulched back into the lawn! I get downright nasty when hubby mows the lawn without the bags in place! Those clippings go in the coops, in the run, on the garden, on the HK mound, in the orchard. Never enough of them to go around! Since we've been collecting grass clippings, I've noticed that there's not as much plantain growing in the lawn. Doesn't affect the rest of the weeds, though.

We have a lot of lawn too, ours go in the poultry runs too, makes for nice deep litter, if there's some left the donkeys demand them because 20 acres of pasture isn't enough, I think they like the clippings because they are prechewed.

Ya'll are making me laugh! "Diary of the traveling plants" "demanding donkeys" Those are some funny mental pictures there.

I think with the new garden plans I am working on and doing row covers/protective wire covers I may be able to let the chickens out more. They would surely like it.
Hanging in there a little longer (snow is still on the ground here) before I can really get going on things.
Just plans and dreams of huge healthy plants right now for me. *Sigh*

I'm trying to pick out some brown tomato seeds, I'm thinking about trying something different than the usual suspects. That's a great name, Diary of the traveling plants. We have a long way to go, it will be cold until April. I still need more hydrangeas, I'm having random thoughts. Cabin fever has set in.

I like to grow a big variety of tomatoes so just one plant of each so I go to a local greenhouse with big variety, kids always demand the snow white cherry tomatoes.
http://foxglove-farms.com/tomatoes
Don't think the site is updated for this year yet and they seem to always have some stuff not listed.

Debating a homestead upgrade this year so I think I might scrap the garden plans or at least keep is small.

It is January, now begins my dreams and thoughts about the coming gardening season, I'm looking through my seeds, looking through seed catalogs, and scribbling plans in my notebook. I'm checking out my seed starting supplies and making sure my lights work.

So share what you are dreaming of or planning for the coming season, I am going to try growing vegetables like green beans in 50 gallon water tanks to be used as my raised beds, I want to add a few more fruit trees, grow my chard and kale amongst my flowers, dig up one messy weed filled bed and put in some hydrangeas. Just to mention a few.

I had to chuckle when I saw this post. I've been sorting and resorting my seeds lately, just itching to get starts on at the first sign of impending spring. My friends think I'm nuts for already planning my garden but I'm just itching to get out there.

It will be my first year in my new place and while there is plenty of space there's no existing gardens in except for 2 small crumbling flower boxes. I, however, have grand plans for setting up a new coop and several raised beds. I'm planning on using cattle panels to set up trellis' between the beds to try and keep the trailing plants off the ground and away from the chickens when they free range as much as possible. We'll see how it goes... Good intentions and all that!

A whole yard open for endless possibilities, wow. Where to begin, been years since I had a blank slate, you must be so excited. It's never too early to plan next season's garden, I usually start right after I planted everything, because that season is done to me so I start looking to the following season. I like raised beds, getting too old to bend over too much. Are you planning vegetables, flowers or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom