Drooping head young chicken

nekocafe

Chirping
May 24, 2022
Georgia
Hello, I just checked on my young flock and I found my 6-7 week old Dominique chicken with a drooping neck, feathers fluffed out, lethargic, green & white poop. She just went again and it was liquidy. The heat index in Georgia where I live is extremely hot, but all the other chickens are fine, only one had her mouth opened. They’re located in a shaded area by trees and the run is also covered. I put corid in the water right away just in case but I’m trying to think what else to do. If it’s heat stress related what can I do? or wry neck? Vitamins, electrolyte water?

Attachments

• E0A9C49B-9890-4FFC-A498-176EEBD0B8C4.jpeg
    E0A9C49B-9890-4FFC-A498-176EEBD0B8C4.jpeg
    472.8 KB · Views: 18
Will she put her head up if you touch her? Is it stuck as in wry neck spasm or is it limber? I would get her drinking fluids, and just this time give some electrolytes. It could be coccidiosis if she is having runny poops with mucus or blood. At her age coccidiosis is common. But if she is dehydrated, she needs fluids, electrolytes and vitamins. With coccidiosis you are not supposed to give thiamine or vitamin B 1. With wry neck, the usual treatment is vitamin E 400 IU daily and a little scrambled egg for thiamine and selenium. So, you may need to go ahead and get her drinking the Corid water, and hold off on vitamins. You can also give undiluted Corid 0.1 ml per pound once or twice a day in addition as a drench. Your observation over the next few hours or overnight will help to determine if she has coccidiosis, dehydration or wry neck.

Will she put her head up if you touch her? Is it stuck as in wry neck spasm or is it limber? I would get her drinking fluids, and just this time give some electrolytes. It could be coccidiosis if she is having runny poops with mucus or blood. At her age coccidiosis is common. But if she is dehydrated, she needs fluids, electrolytes and vitamins. With coccidiosis you are not supposed to give thiamine or vitamin B 1. With wry neck, the usual treatment is vitamin E 400 IU daily and a little scrambled egg for thiamine and selenium. So, you may need to go ahead and get her drinking the Corid water, and hold off on vitamins. You can also give undiluted Corid 0.1 ml per pound once or twice a day in addition as a drench. Your observation over the next few hours or overnight will help to determine if she has coccidiosis, dehydration or wry neck.
Thank you so much! What’s the best way to get her fluids with the corid - syringe? And how much & often? Her neck is limber, at times she’ll become alert, she is still chirping a little, and after so long she moves from spot to spot but goes back into the position in the photo. She’s tucked in for the night and I’m hoping she’ll be okay in the morning. We have a severe thunderstorm going on right now. :(

Back
Top Bottom