Droopy Chicken

LuvnChickens

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 4, 2012
I have all kinds of chickens. My problem has been with my silkies & frizzles. And as far as I know it has only been the hens. One day they are fine then they start drooping their heads. They just kind stand there with their heads hanging, and most of the time their eyes are closed. They do this for about 3 days and then they die.........WHY??????? What do I need to do or what is it? I have lost 3 in the last month & I have 2 right now doing the same thing. I LOVE my chickens and it makes me sad.

The use of ACV~apple cider vinegar, is an oft repeated subject on this forum and the discussion is usually the same each time...no one knows how it works but some really vouch for its good effects on their flocks. I'll be the first to state that I wouldn't raise chickens without it's use anymore. I'm thoroughly convinced of its merits.

Here is a link about making vinegar and it has many interesting facts but the most significant for the subject on this post is on page 34 where it lists the many beneficial bacteria located in natural(not heat processed) vinegar~too many to list here!

http://silvalab.fsnhp.msstate.edu//vinegar_lactic.pdf

***If you look closely you will find on that list at least one bacteria, in particular, that might interest those who are fearful of cocci in new chicks and want to take steps to prevent it.****

Pediococcus acidilactici

in livestock and wild animals, infects mainly the cells of the digestive tract, although it also attacks cells of the liver and the bile duct. Symptoms of infection are diarrhea, weight loss, and general weakness. Eimeria is characterized by spore cases that contain four spores, each with two infective sporozoites. Among the common pathogenic species are E. necatrix and E. tenella (in poultry); E. stiedae (in rabbits); and E. bovis, E. ellipsoidalis, and E. zuernii (in cattle).

There is a wealth of information on the net about the beneficial bacterias present in the cultures that produce vinegar and many of the common bacteria that can sicken and kill humans and animals can be prevented from proliferating if vinegar is used. Botulism is one of these organisms, which is why vinegar has been used for many years in home preservation of foods.

Vinegar also has many vitamins and minerals that can provide valuable electrolytes and supplemental nutrition to growing birds, particularly those prone to dehydration like young chicks and the fast growing broiler breeds.

Quote: Minerals: as iron, manganese, calcium, copper, silicon, chlorine, sulphur, sodium, phosphorus and fluorine

amino acids and enzymes
http://silvalab.fsnhp.msstate.edu//vinegar_lactic.pdf

I have all kinds of chickens. My problem has been with my silkies & frizzles. And as far as I know it has only been the hens. One day they are fine then they start drooping their heads. They just kind stand there with their heads hanging, and most of the time their eyes are closed. They do this for about 3 days and then they die.........WHY??????? What do I need to do or what is it? I have lost 3 in the last month & I have 2 right now doing the same thing. I LOVE my chickens and it makes me sad.

Can you give us a bit more info, please?
Are/were they laying?
Did you check if they are egg bound?
What does their droppings look like?
Are they eating/drinking?
If they are eating, does their crops empty?
Apart from the droopiness and listlessness are their any other symptoms? Anything unusual you've noticed?

I would treat them for coccidiosis with Corid right away for 5-7 days. Then treat with vitamins daily, and probiotics or plain yogurt twice a week. If it turns out to be something els, Corid will not harm them.

I would treat them for coccidiosis with Corid right away for 5-7 days. Then treat with vitamins daily, and probiotics or plain yogurt twice a week. If it turns out to be something els, Corid will not harm them.

X2, and asap! It's at least worth a shot. The lethargy, puffy feathers and quick deaths are classic of coccidiosis. Are you seeing any other symptoms at all in these birds?

If it was infectious bronchitis you would be seeing other symptoms such as coughing and rattling/wheezing breathing.

They both passed away before I had time to try these suggestions. This happened to me about a month ago also. So I will def keep all this info. Thank you so much for your help.

No, none of the ones that had this were laying yet. They were about 5-6 months old. They did drink some. And I would hand water them. The black one wouldn't drink. The droppings that I did see seemed normal. I don't know what egg bound is. I never seen it before. I didn't see any other symptoms at all. They just looked very sad. Is there something else I should do so that the rest of my silkies don't get what ever they had?

Back
Top Bottom