Droopy Comb

NHChickengirl

Songster
8 Years
Jul 8, 2013
Merrimack , NH
A couple of days ago I noticed my oldest hen , a white leghorn who is 4 , has a very droopy comb and it looks like it is shriveling up. I haven't been able to catch her to examine her yet. It's not getting better. Obviously not normal but what else should I be looking for? Thanks

I don't know for sure but if its cold were you are some hens can get frost bite on there combs. I would talk to your local vet.

A couple of days ago I noticed my oldest hen , a white leghorn who is 4 , has a very droopy comb and it looks like it is shriveling up. I haven't been able to catch her to examine her yet. It's not getting better. Obviously not normal but what else should I be looking for? Thanks

Can you post some photos?
Is she eating/drinking?
Is she pooping?
Does she still lay eggs?

Has she gone through her yearly molt - do you see loss of feathers or new feathers coming in?

Offer her some poultry vitamins and watch to see that she is staying hydrated.

The best way to catch a flighty hen is to wait until dark when she is roosting, then take her off the roost so you can examine her. It may help to have someone help you or you can swaddle her loosely in a towel. Check her over for any signs of lice or mites, feel her crop for general fullness (nighttime) and any type of swelling/bloat of the abdomen.

Let us know how she is doing.

Ok we are now in May and it is still droopy but not as bad. I have checked her all out and she has NO mites or other bugs. I gave her an Epsom Salt tubby and trimmed her butt feathers. For her entire 4 years she doesn't poop strong enough and it gets stuck in her feathers. She seems healthy in all respects ( especially trying to catch her) do their combs get droopier with age? Also she no longer lays eggs for the last 2 years
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom