Droopy neck lethargic help!!

katlaurel41

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 8, 2014
Hi I'm new-ish to the group and haven't posted much but I'm hoping for some advice. I have a 4 1/2 month old silver laced Wyandotte that is acting strange. This morning when I went out to let them out she didn't seem to want to hold her head up and was a little slower than normal. Just went to check on her again and she seems fairly lethargic although will speed up if she's trying to get away from me. All my other hens seem fine. Could this be an injury? Illness? I just don't know where to start. Her poop looks good and she was pecking at the grass a little bit. We lost a 4year old RR last week to what we thought was just old age. Now I'm worrying I have a larger problem. Any advice is appreciated!

Welcome to BYC. Chickens can have droopy necks when they are weak or dehydrated, and in diseases such as botulism, the neck can become paralyzed. I would make sure that she is drinking well, and not dehydrated. The acting lethargic is worrisome.
Wry neck (crook neck, torticolis) is a condition where the neck can become down turned, turned to the side, or turned upward to the sky) and is a neurological symptom of head injuries, vitamin E and selenium deficiency, and or diseases that cause brain inflammation. It is very common, and giving them Poultry Nutri-drench or Poultry Cell 2 ml orally every day can help. Or you can give any chick vitamin containing vitamin E, and give a little chopped egg or tuna daily for the selenium. Here are some articles to read about wry neck:
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/97121/lets-talk-wry-neck-crook-neck

CROOKED2.jpg

photo by SHELLY chicken with wry neck

53674_wry_neck.jpg

Last edited:
Those photos do look like my girls issue. She will lift her head, look around, etc when moving but as soon as she stops her neck droops again. I'm in the northwest, any recommendations for farm supply stores? My wilco and costal seem to be limited in their chicken supplies other than just the basic items. Is wry neck something that can come on suddenly? She was completely fine when I tucked them in last night.

Back
Top Bottom