Droopy Wings

Jesse Haydel

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2019
So I recently bought a few new chicks(no idea how old). I've had them for about 4 days now and I've noticed the Bantams I got have almost like droopy wings. They seem perfectly fine otherwise, moving around, not lethargic or slow. Could it possibly indicate a breed mixed with bantam? If not what does it mean?

This is the only picture I have at the moment

Attachments

• Snapchat-1702569621.jpg
    Snapchat-1702569621.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 9
Also, can you find out how old they are? Where did you buy them?
What temperature is it in the brooder? They might be too warm.
I do not know the exact temperature of the brooder right now, but they seem to stay under the heat lamp. I got them from tractor supply on a sale, due to them being older than the normal chicks they have. They seem perfectly healthy besides the drooped wings.

I do not know the exact temperature of the brooder right now, but they seem to stay under the heat lamp. I got them from tractor supply on a sale, due to them being older than the normal chicks they have. They seem perfectly healthy besides the drooped wings.
Call Tractor Supply and ask. Get a thermometer for the brooder. It should be 98 degrees the first week, but after that it should go down at least 5 degrees every week until it's down to 70. I take mine down 10 degrees each week. :oops: (I might get clobbered for that.) They just look too hot to me. :confused:

Call Tractor Supply and ask. Get a thermometer for the brooder. It should be 98 degrees the first week, but after that it should go down at least 5 degrees every week until it's down to 70. I take mine down 10 degrees each week. :oops: (I might get clobbered for that.) They just look too hot to me. :confused:
Will do. I'm probably going to take away the heat lamp because it is around 90 degrees where I live(they are currently outside in a brooder)

I wouldn't do that. It isn't 90 in the middle of the night is it? You need a consistent temperature for them until they get their feathers.

If they didn't seem droopy at Tractor Supply, then I'd go with the temp of the brooder. Possibly a bit too warm for daytime. I use a regular household light .. maybe 60 watt.. for my chicks when their wings feather. Colder months I leave the heat lamp bulb longer.

I wouldn't do that. It isn't 90 in the middle of the night is it? You need a consistent temperature for them until they get their feathers.
If they didn't seem droopy at Tractor Supply, then I'd go with the temp of the brooder. Possibly a bit too warm for daytime. I use a regular household light .. maybe 60 watt.. for my chicks when their wings feather. Colder months I leave the heat lamp bulb longer.
It stays around 90 in their cage all time. With further inspection it looks like their wings are just bigger than they should be I guess.

Back
Top Bottom