Droopy wings

mozzar_ELLA

Chirping
May 27, 2020
Elk Grove,CA
I was just wondering if it’s normal for chicks to let their wings droop. I had a chick death a few days ago so I’ve been being extra vigilant and I’ve noticed 2 chicks occasionally droop their wings. It’s usually just one wing drooping like it just got slightly too heavy. Is this normal behavior? Otherwise they seem healthy and happy cheeping and eating and drinking well. They’re about 2-3 weeks old.

Sleepiness will cause drooping. So will over heating. They also could be warming themselves.

As long as it is occasional, and they are eating, cheeping, pooping, and running around at other times, I think it is simply the above.

Just watch, and check your brooder temps.

LofMc

I'm sorry you lost your chickie.
Mine did that a little bit. I was a nervous Nellie when mine were tiny (still am a bit) and one of my chickies was always the exact image in my book of a chick being 'listless'. They're 6 weeks old now and doing great!
My questions would be, are they in the 'droopy wing' position for very long? If not, it's probably fine. Sometimes they would do that for a few minutes and fall onto their face cause they were sleeping standing up. lol!
Also, be prepared for growth spurt behavior. Mine had a day or so around 3-4 weeks when they ate and drank like crazy then slept for long periods of time. My child did the same thing sometimes when she was a toddler so I knew what was up but it can be scary if you're not prepared and already sad about a lost chick.

I'm sorry you lost your chickie.
Mine did that a little bit. I was a nervous Nellie when mine were tiny (still am a bit) and one of my chickies was always the exact image in my book of a chick being 'listless'. They're 6 weeks old now and doing great!
My questions would be, are they in the 'droopy wing' position for very long? If not, it's probably fine. Sometimes they would do that for a few minutes and fall onto their face cause they were sleeping standing up. lol!
Also, be prepared for growth spurt behavior. Mine had a day or so around 3-4 weeks when they ate and drank like crazy then slept for long periods of time. My child did the same thing sometimes when she was a toddler so I knew what was up but it can be scary if you're not prepared and already sad about a lost chick.
Ya it seems to droop lower and lower until the wing is on the ground and then they seem to be shocked awake by the brooder floor. Doesn’t last very long.

Back
Top Bottom