Drop in flock egg production due to broody hen?

Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Smoky Mountains
So I have 13 laying girls. I was averaging 11 a day last week. 3 days ago, we got our first broody hen. The last two days I have 6 eggs and 5 eggs. Is her sitting freaking out the flock? I have checked the nest when she gets up, and there are none laying in her box...same amount of eggs as day 1.

No one is sick, no other reason for the drop that I can see. Just one day 11, next couple days, half that.

If they free range they may have started a new nest elsewhere. Or its just one of those things and the rest will go back to nornal soon.

Well, I had a total of 5 yesterday. So, I kept them locked in the run today, and so far, 8 eggs and another is laying. So either it was a temporary coincidence, or half the flock started laying elsewhere all of a sudden. Either way, I think I'll keep them locked up until around 3pm the next few days and then see what happens. No way I can search the mountain for wherever they are laying, so I'll have to encourage them back to laying in the coop.

Annoying!

Hi,

I have been reading your thread. I have a 3 hens that were all laying every day. 2 have suddenly become broody and all have stopped laying. They are in a coop and large run so at least i don't have to search. I was thinking how funny it is that they all stopped laying at the same time. I hope hens are back to normal soon.

Well, I guess it could be a coincidence, but I've kept them locked in the run today and so far we got 9 eggs. So either half the flock stopped for a couple days and have restarted, or they were laying elsewhere. Might keep them locked up every day until around 3 or so for a few days to reset their laying spots.

Coincidence or not. If she is a ah, moody broody she could have thrown the others off there stride when they went to lay in the nests like normal, especially if she is in the preferred nest.

She's definitely in 1 of the more popular nests. So I'm sure that has something to do with it. I just found 2 more, so that's eleven out of thirteen, and 1 is broody. So only 1 girl didn't lay. I went ahead and let them out to free range for the rest of the day, but I'm wondering if keeping them in later the next few days will fix the problem. Guess we'll see
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom