Dropped Egg-How Much trouble am I in?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chestoah, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Chestoah

Chestoah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    I just dropped an egg in the run while gathering and the hens swarmed it! They were eating it before I had a chance to react. I dropped it outside in the run, will they start cracking eggs in the nest box now? It smashed when I dropped it, so they didn't break it themselves. I'm so worried now! What do you all think? Is there anything I can do?

2. Farm Girl 1

Farm Girl 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2014
    Maybe put hard fake eggs in there so if they peck them and find out that they don't break, they will get discouraged from trying to open others. Just a guess, sorry I can't help more!

3. Chestoah

Apr 22, 2014
    Thanks, that's a good idea! Maybe I could try some of my daughter's Easter eggs? Maybe tape them shut?

4. Farm Girl 1

Farm Girl 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2014
    Depends on what colour the eggs are and how much they weigh. If you chickens are brown layers get brown eggs if they are white get white. And fill them with sand or something to make them weigh about the same as a regular egg. Is you tape them shut make sure they are really tight and won't open.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It’s pretty normal for a chicken to eat any egg that is opened. That does not make them an egg eater. It’s when they learn to open eggs themselves to eat them that it is a problem.

I doubt you have created a problem but you are dealing with living animals. Nobody can give you a guarantee either way. Definitely keep an eye out but don’t panic. Personally I would not give it another thought, just don’t make a habit of dropping them. As if you did it on purpose.

I think it is a good idea to keep fake eggs in there anyway, golf balls, ceramic, wooden, or stone eggs, something like that to show them where to lay. Whether that stops them form eating eggs, who knows, but it won’t hurt.

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Good advice there. The chickens may not even get the connection that it was theirs. If you are not already doing so, get an egg basket for collections - one deep enough to hold and spill eggs.

7. Chestoah

Apr 22, 2014
    Thank you so much for the advice and reassurance! I'm going to get some fake eggs...and a basket for my butterfingers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by