1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dropping eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ole rooster, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I have 4 pullets 16 weeks old. Two have been laying for a week now. Some of the smallest eggs I've seen. Almost banty size, or smaller. But in the last few days when I clean out the coop I found some of the strangest things. One was a yellow of an egg in the sand. No shell, mebrane or anything other than the yellow. Then three time now I've gotten an egg in the membrane. I fell about 36 inch to the sand but didn't bust. What's going on when the pullets don't know pooping from laying? The eggs are so small it would take tom 4 fry and eggs sandwich, but what's going on on the roost? [​IMG]

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    They'll work out the lay thing in time. Their reproductive system will get in sync to start shelling the eggs (soft shells to no shells is common) and egg size will increase. 16 weeks is very young to start laying, it happens but would assume this early age is why your getting so many pullet oddities. Have you switched over to layer feed or offered oyster shells free choice to them yet? If not get on that, they need the extra calcium now that they are laying. They'll also start using their nests to lay in no time. I usually have a few eggs in odd places in first few weeks of laying but they "get it" in no time.

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    They do eat layer feed and stay out with the older chickens all day. I don't feed extra since they range all day. To me the funny part was they went right to the nest when they started, but one I think just don't have it together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by