Droppings Board

chickenthyme

Songster
Feb 3, 2018
NE Ohio
Ok......our Labor Day project. After going for about 2 years with just branches put together somewhat like a ladder with two rungs and having to clean poop from underneath them dropping to the floor with straw, we decided to try a droppings board. Couldn't find exactly what I was thinking I wanted for the board and so I ended up getting two laminated shelves like you'd put in a closet each 12 inches wide.
Also made a new roost bar of a 1 x 4 for them. I know it's all foreign to them tonight and I still am working to get my two newest girls adapted with the older 5 which is progressing. Tonight when I went to check on them all but 3 were on the roost and the three were on the board. Well I didn't want them getting pooped on so I rearranged them. Things looked ok for the night when I left with all 7 on the roost (first time too).
My concern right now is that maybe the laminate shelves are too slippery (although that's what I wanted for easy clean up) but I don't want them hurting themselves either. Plan to make a ramp for them to get up but that didn't happen today so I just put the bench back that they are used to hopping up on to get to the roost.
Too much blah-blah?? :confused: Just wanted any input you might have with those of you who use droppings boards! Thanks!! :D

I only have one roost bar because really there's enough room for the 7 of them on the one roost and also a bit difficult to add another one. Actually the boards are laid on top of a frame my husband made. Just seems like just naturally they are going to jump onto board first and then onto roost.
What is PDZ? I know one woman that uses some kind of sand type stuff that they use for horses (maybe) for odor control?
I may be in a panic tonight since it's all new for me too. Just not wanting to set up something that will cause an accident. The board is probably waist high for me with the roost about 7 or 8 inches higher than that. :confused:

The women you know is probably using PDZ, it's a horse stall refresher that helps control ammonia odors. I use 1/2" or less of PDZ on my board. I have a frame around the whole thing to hold the PDZ in. I use a cat litter scoop to scoop the poop every day. The poop goes in my compost bin.

Using a laminated board only is probably slippery. My flock is always walking on the board to get settled in for the night. Some of them sleep on the board, the roost and the front board. Also without something on the board, the real wet ones may be hard to get off, unless you want to wipe it up :sick. Also with a 12 inch wide board, some of the poop may end up on the floor. Mine is 24" wide with the roost in the middle. The ones on the front board always face front.

2018 6 weeks old roosting with the big girls.jpg

The women you know is probably using PDZ, it's a horse stall refresher that helps control ammonia odors. I use 1/2" or less of PDZ on my board. I have a frame around the whole thing to hold the PDZ in. I use a cat litter scoop to scoop the poop every day. The poop goes in my compost bin.

Using a laminated board only is probably slippery. My flock is always walking on the board to get settled in for the night. Some of them sleep on the board, the roost and the front board. Also without something on the board, the real wet ones may be hard to get off, unless you want to wipe it up :sick. Also with a 12 inch wide board, some of the poop may end up on the floor. Mine is 24" wide with the roost in the middle. The ones on the front board always face front.

View attachment 1896767
Thank you for your help. Yes OH MY......the dropping board was just what it infers and what a sight to behold!! Amazing how much they produce in one night!! :eek: I'm thinking the laminate is not going to work. Where one dropping was it pucker the laminate so it must have been stronger stuff but it's going to happen. Is your board just wood?? No coating of any sort?
AND since it was two boards, some seeped in between and at the back so that's not good. :rolleyes:
How do you do your compost? For today I just scooped it in a bucket and put a bit of lime on it. We had been hauling our straw to some vacant property we have and just dumping it. Here at home I'm not sure I have a good place compost but I'd like to be able to use it eventually on my flower beds and garden.
Thanks for the tips. Back to the drawing board....... I'm ordering some PDZ though today as it was TOTALLY GROSS wiping off the board today and I only had a small putty knife for scooping. :sick

View attachment 1896767
Thanks for the picture too!! Great help!!

I'm thinking the laminate is not going to work. Where one dropping was it pucker the laminate so it must have been stronger stuff but it's going to happen. Is your board just wood?? No coating of any sort?

It depends on what your calling laminate. A picture would help.
My board itself is 1/4" underlayment, but it is covered with vinyl. The underlayment is nailed down to a 2 x 4 frame, then I covered it with vinyl. I used 1 x 2's to hold the vinyl down. I nailed 1 x 4's to the outside of the frame(raised up) to make a tray.

Poop board vinyl.jpg

This is the underside of the poop board. The frame sits on 2 x 4's along the back wall and 2 x 4's on the sides
Poop board base.jpg

You can see how the 1 x 4 is raised up when I attached it to the 2 x 4 to make the tray. I could have used a 1 x 6 and made it even with the bottom of the 2 x 4, but didn't.
I lift the roost bar up when I scoop the poop, that's why it's on an angle.
20171111_101422 (1).jpg

How do you do your compost?

I have 2 bins about 6' x 6' made out of pallets, to keep the dogs out of it. I don't have any pictures. All the poop goes in there. I add leaves(I always have leaves), kitchen and garden scraps not suitable for the chickens, coffee grounds, tea bags, some of the egg shells and some of the coop bedding when I clean it out. Most of the bedding goes in my deep litter run, which is basically composting also.

It depends on what your calling laminate. A picture would help. [/QUOTE]

They are just shelves we bought at Lowe's with a laminate covering over them. I know basically they're not going to work. I suppose I could get vinyl to put over it which is what I wanted originally but neither Home Depot or Lowe's seemed to have the remnants like they used to so that's why we did the shelves . I can see though we need to put wood clear around the board so that's next. I can get a picture but we do have a frame similar to yours made which the shelves lay on top.

Wasn't going to make it to get some PDZ yesterday so was putting straw there so it wasn't as gross for this morning and wouldn't you know, one of the girls got up and started sifting through it and kicking it off. :rolleyes: Silliness!

I have 2 bins about 6' x 6' made out of pallets, to keep the dogs out of it. I don't have any pictures. All the poop goes in there. I add leaves(I always have leaves), kitchen and garden scraps not suitable for the chickens, coffee grounds, tea bags, some of the egg shells and some of the coop bedding when I clean it out. Most of the bedding goes in my deep litter run, which is basically composting also.[/QUOTE]

Do you find your compost bin smells or attracts varmints? Even though we are in the country, we still have people on all sides of us including the back. Do you use the PDZ too as bedding?

Thanks for your pictures and information. Huge help!! This forum has been great for newer chicken owners!

Back
Top Bottom