Drove to Lebanon--I am weak-weak-weak!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JudyMcKinn, May 20, 2008.

1. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Hubby and I went for a little drive this afternoon, and somehow ended up in Lebanon (where the Cackle hatchery happens to be.) What a surprise!
    Well, you can imagine what happened. I had to go in just to look around and see what they had. Hubby waited in the car, due to his hip problem. To make a long story short, I ended up with 5 Barred Rocks, 2 Light Brahmas, 2 Americanas, and 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte. Then, I happened to ask them if they ever had German Spitzhaubens, and they said they had just hatched some, still in the back. Well, the first 10 I picked were supposed to be all pullets, however they said they don't sex the Spitz., so I got 5 of them but don't know what. Hubby said he knew he should have come in with me. LOL
    Brought the 15 home and had my brooder ready in about 30 min. The little things are really perky and active, so hope they do well. They just drank and drank. I just don't seem to have any resistance any more (so hubby said) LOL
    Anyone else got any new babies?

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Aww we need pics! I get my babies on Friday! I can't wait [​IMG]

3. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Very cool, the unplanned chicks are the best. Emjoy them!

4. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Please tell me...what is the hatchery like?
    If I order, I only use Cackle and I have extremely happy with the service and the chickens.
    I would love to take a trip to see it, but I know it's too far for me to just pop over there & take a look.
    I'd have to take the gooseneck trailer with me...I'd just have to fill it up!!! [​IMG]

Jean

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I would sooooooo have bought many many babies if I could actually walk into the hatchery like that. I say you did good leaving with only 15! [​IMG]

We need pics...

6. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Hi,
    Well, everyone seems alert and rarin' to go this morning.
    Jean, Cackle hatchery--the part you can go to, is just a small storefront in a small town. The only part you can "visit" is the front of the "store" where they have several brooders with several levels, with, usually, different breeds of chicks, & bantam chicks, turkeys, ducks, & sometimes geese for people to choose from if dropping by. However, I think their main work, by far, is the mail order business. The man out front said he and his parents owned it, and of their about 30 employees, 7 were ill today, (ill, or sick child, broken ankle, etc.) which is why he was in front, which was unusual for him. I had no idea they had so many employees, so I am sure their main operation is in back, mailing out babies as fast as they can. And I am sure they don't want people other than employees back there because someone might have chickens with some disease, which would sweep thru the whole hatchery. They had enough cute babies of different types out front, however, that it was hard to get out of there with just 15!
    Cetawin, went to your webpage, and you really have some cute birds. If you haven't thought of it, I would like to make a suggestion. You say they are kicking shavings into their water. As they grow, insert a block of 2 X 6 or some similiar board under the waterer--keeping it up to about chest level for them, and raising it as they grow. Keeps most of the shavings out.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  7. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    If I lived near a large hatchery it would be a very dangerous thing.

Something along the lines of eating one potato chip or escaping a black hole.

8. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    Congrats on new babies! Hubby and I like to take drives, he is sssooo thankful there are no hatcheries near us, that I could just drive by. Heck just having the animal shelter close to me has been problem enough.
    Post some pics of your new babies when you can would love to see baby spitz.

9. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

judymckin,
    condratulations, i love the spitz.
    maybe next year >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..

10. tabsmonsters

tabsmonsters Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    My mom, stepdad, and sis live in Lebanon! Everytime I go to visit, I have to stop in there if they are open and look at all the babies. Good luck with your babies and I think hubby is lucky you left with only 15!!

Tabby

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by