Drowned Ducks

allquackedup

Songster
10 Years
Aug 9, 2009
Southern Maryland
We have a slew of ducks that are 10wks to 4wks of age. All hatched in incubators then moved out to the duck pen. We just got a small wading pool for them and gave them access into and out of it. We found two drowned two days ago and this morning we found five drowned. We don't see any agression from the 10wk olds. What in the world could be going on? We have emptied the pool until we get some solid advice. We are aware that incubated ducks do no have water repelant oil as natural born but they were not introduced until they were at least 3 wks old. Is this still to early or do we have a Drake possibly drowning them? The drowned ducks have not been all the younger ones. Any advice!!!

sad.png
this sucks
hugs.gif

I have only ever had 1 that Almost drowned, my little cousin put him in our big pool because she wanted to swim with him..thank god we found him in time..but he was always a little "special" after that. If you hav e a big drake with them, he could be doing it but maybe you should watch them for a couple hours after you fill the pool up and you can see if its him or if they just cant get out. do you have a step(s) in the pool to help them get out?

I would guess its the Drake
sad.png
My drake has killed a couple chickens that way when we had them together. He mates in the pool and he must have dragged the chickens in there with him maybe to mate. Drakes could easily drown young ducklings especially if their feathers are not fully grown in. Remove the Drake and see if there is a difference. Sorry for your losses
hugs.gif

If you are leaving them access to the pool overnight I would expect they are getting too chilled. They only have some fuzz at this age.

I have some that are almost 4 weeks old and they only got their first swim yesterday for a very short while. We are in SC and it still was a bit cool for them but DH wanted them to take a full bath. They stay outside in a coop at night but only have a water bowl for drinking.

I am not a duck expert by any means but without oils from mom nor without cuddling with others at night I would think they would get cold in Maryland being wet at night.

I am sorry you lost so many.
hit.gif

I'll almost garuntee it's the drake drowning them
Putting ducklings in around grown drakes can be very hazardous to their health
They will kill them on dry ground too just not as easy

I've also tried putting week old ducklings in the pen with their parents. The females were fine, but the drake was very nasty and I had to remove them.

Yea I am thinking maybe that as well.... we had left them access to the lil pool 24 hrs. we did have a way for them to get out and in but thinking maybe they got to saturated or cold and couldnt get out. Very sad! I know people have all mentioned grown drakes will be mean and do that to them but the oldest drake in there with them is only 9-10 weeks old...is that considered full grown? Well we only have two small tumblers that are only 1 foot x 1 foot in there now and they are only about 5 inches deep when full to the top so..... no more pool or fun until they get older. Too sad going out and finding them drowned. (especially if its because they were to cold and couldnt get out) breaks my heart that they went that way.
hit.gif
We have had almost three days of rain so everything is wet and colder. We need rain but pretty sick of it now. Anyhow thanks for all the replies! I think from here on out now swimming unless we are watching and the sun is shinning bright!
smile.png

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom