Drunk/halucinating hen COULD IT BE MAREKS?

JakRat

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Dover
I posted earlier about my hen I have that has been really lethargic. She is a 1 yo serama, eats, drinks, her poop has gotten much better since I put her on nutri drench (small doses twice a day). I took her off the tylan (orally) that she had been on for two weeks.

Yesterday she seemed much better so I took her outside. She walked around and foraged more than she has been lately. We went inside after a bit and I put her back in the bathtub. A few hours later we went back outside and she seemed tired again so she took a nap in the daffodils.

When we came back inside I put her in the tub again and went to make dinner. I came back about an hour later to find a bubble in her eye and her nose running like crazy so I put her back on tylan. This morning when I went to check on her she seems drunk. Not staggering around but like when she goes to eat or drink its like she is missing the food and water... she is also look around alot in a woozy kinda way.

WHAT ON EARTH IS WRONG WITH HER! I am at my wits end with her.

I am not going to give her anything today to see if that was the problem. Maybe she is having a vitamin overdose or something.

Last edited:
She did not improve at all today. I gave her her vitamins and some molasses water.

She is now sleeping in our basement. Luckily her runny nose and eye bubble didnt come back. GEEZ

her nose seems to be running again and she just sleeps standing up with her head in her wing. Eating and drinking fine, and her droppings are back to normal. I did give her some molasses earlier...... just at a loss of what to do next... I think I just need to let go and let nature take its course.

JakRat- You have had a series of acute health issues (sinus infection in a couple birds if I recall correctly) in the last few months that are indicative of a larger, chronic problem. You should consider getting your flock tested. I think you are looking at the long-term implications of CRD.

I am sorry.

JakRat- You have had a series of acute health issues (sinus infection in a couple birds if I recall correctly) in the last few months that are indicative of a larger, chronic problem. You should consider getting your flock tested. I think you are looking at the long-term implications of CRD.

I am sorry.

Yeah thats what I was thinking last night :(. I think that my serama may be the only one however as everyone else seems to have been fine after a few days of tylan. She is the one that is constantly ill. I think I may have to take her to the vet today to see what is up.

So the vet gave me some Baytril. Never hurts to try before I have to take more extreme measures.

The one thing that she is doing that is confusing the heck out of me is how she eats and drinks.
Its almost as if she cant see. She goes to peck at her food and misses it, like she doesnt go down far enough. It is just really weird.

Any ideas on that?

Her nose has stopped running but she is still sleeping a lot.

Back
Top Bottom