Dry Appearing Comb

EHaag

Chirping
Jan 1, 2021
Hello!

I recently rescued a stray chicken and am trying to make sure she is in the best health possible. We have built her a large coop and run, 40sq feet, double wrapped in chicken wire and 1/2 inch hardware cloth (hard to see due to portrait style photo), 2 roost with plenty of ventilation in the coop and one nesting box. We are getting more chickens this week to give her a flock.

My goal is to ensure her health is good before introducing other chickens. She is eating plenty of vegetable scraps and 16% crumble and drinking plenty of water. She seems to be at a good weight and isn’t missing any feathers. She roosts at night and is active during the day.

Her comb is small and appears very dry. I am concerned that this might be an indicator of frost bite or dryness due to her being lost outside for however many weeks (I believe her previous owners abandoned her). Or perhaps a sign of dehydration? (We have only had her a few days).

Many people have told me that she is perhaps an Easter Egger or Mix.

8AAE8474-C2F2-44AE-B5FB-9B0246718BAF.jpeg
Does anyone have any suggestions? Or advice?

Thank you in advance!

**** I forgot to add that her poops look good and regular so I see no irregularities there.

Due to loss of daylight hours during the winter, egg production slows or stops as well as combs shrinking and having a dull and shrunken appearance. It's also this time of the year for birds to go into molt. They might simply have a mini molt or a full blown molt. Molt usually occurs around their first year of life and once a year thereafter. There might be mini molts in between though.

Since she is a newbie, I recommend that you closely inspect her for lice/mites, especially around the vent area where it's warm and moist. Lice are white or off white in color and move quickly through feathers and fluff. Look for lice eggs attached to the base of feather shafts.
Mites are black or red in color and move slower. They suck blood and can cause anemia, then death.

Consider isolating the other chickens you'll be getting away from your Easter Egger for at least a month. This will give time for you to observe the new group of birds and your Easter Egger for any signs of respiratory diseases and the chance to inspect them for external parasites, unseen injuries or wounds and worming all of them. I recommend either Valbazen or Safeguard to worm them.
Practice biosecurity with your birds.

Due to loss of daylight hours during the winter, egg production slows or stops as well as combs shrinking and having a dull and shrunken appearance. It's also this time of the year for birds to go into molt. They might simply have a mini molt or a full blown molt. Molt usually occurs around their first year of life and once a year thereafter. There might be mini molts in between though.

Since she is a newbie, I recommend that you closely inspect her for lice/mites, especially around the vent area where it's warm and moist. Lice are white or off white in color and move quickly through feathers and fluff. Look for lice eggs attached to the base of feather shafts.
Mites are black or red in color and move slower. They suck blood and can cause anemia, then death.

Consider isolating the other chickens you'll be getting away from your Easter Egger for at least a month. This will give time for you to observe the new group of birds and your Easter Egger for any signs of respiratory diseases and the chance to inspect them for external parasites, unseen injuries or wounds and worming all of them. I recommend either Valbazen or Safeguard to worm them.
Practice biosecurity with your birds.
Thank you so much for this advice! I will grab some worming supplies at Meyers this week. Do you have any recommendations for what to do if I find lice or mites on her?

Back
Top Bottom