Dry brittle feathers

Mcook512

Songster
May 22, 2019
My Wyandotte started to molt this fall, then just stopped. She has been like this since October. I noticed mites, so they were all treated with Elector PSP in November. Her feathers are now very dry and wiry. Will she look like this until she molts again next year?

Attachments

• E87C9B07-EB79-46FA-91ED-548291388A71.jpeg
    E87C9B07-EB79-46FA-91ED-548291388A71.jpeg
    481.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 78B92E5A-AD5D-4B05-A224-0DB47D60483F.jpeg
    78B92E5A-AD5D-4B05-A224-0DB47D60483F.jpeg
    514.3 KB · Views: 12
Put her in a dark coop with no light. That should help speed up the molt. Some molts can last up to 6 months. If it's too cold now, you can wait until Spring time.

If that doesn't work alone, do that PLUS give her a low nutrition diet. That too will help if the dark doesn't do it alone.

Put her in a dark coop with no light. That should help speed up the molt. Some molts can last up to 6 months. If it's too cold now, you can wait until Spring time.

If that doesn't work alone, do that PLUS give her a low nutrition diet. That too will help if the dark doesn't do it alone.
You mean high nutrition, don't you?

I'm not sure why her feathers grew in like that, is could be genetics or not enough protein in her diet. They were normal before?

You mean high nutrition, don't you?

I'm not sure why her feathers grew in like that, is could be genetics or not enough protein in her diet. They were normal before?
Yes. She had normal feathers before. I don’t know if it’s the mites that stopped the feathers from growing back, but no other chickens had this happen.

Sorry, I don't know which nutrients. I was told, "It's like you eating only lettuce."
Who ever told you that might have been mistaken, you are supposed to raise the protein levels and general nutrition levels when birds are molting since moltings are hard on them and they really need the extra help. But, you are supposed to cut back on the carbs and treats during a molt, so probably that's where that came from.
I'm not sure about the dark, I can't find anything about it here or in a Google search, shorter daylight hours can trigger molting but I can't find anything on it speeding a molt. :confused: It could work but I'm not sure. I really hate tagging people but now I'm curious.

My Wyandotte started to molt this fall, then just stopped. She has been like this since October. I noticed mites, so they were all treated with Elector PSP in November. Her feathers are now very dry and wiry. Will she look like this until she molts again next year?
Did you worm her during the molt using fenbendazole, commonly sold as Safeguard. That can cause the feathers to come back weird. I'm sure other things could affect the feathers growing back but that's the only one I know of.

Yeah, she will probably look like that until she molts. If she stopped growing them in October it's highly unlikely anything will change until she molts. The only diet change I's suggest is to give her a few BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seeds) each day. Not many but a few. The oil in the BOSS might help with the feather dryness. BOSS has a lot of oil, you don't want to overdo it.

Chickens can be forced to molt by modifying the amount of light they get and stressing them by withholding water. I'm not sure if diet affects that or not. But with the water don't try that except under the guidance of a qualified veterinarian. It's too dangerous if you don't know exactly what you are doing. If you can I don't see any problem trying to trigger a molt if you can add extra light for a few weeks and then cut if back maybe 15 minutes every other day. That could work but it could also kick all your other hens into a molt.

In your case I'd live with it.

Back
Top Bottom