Dry dropping board vs using Sweet PDZ

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheSpiceGirls, Feb 13, 2015.

1. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Crowing

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I see some dropping boards just raw wood or covered w/ linoleum. And I see others that have several inches of Sweet PDZ.

What are the advantages or disadvantages of either? I can't decide which one is right for me?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have found that if you have a board they poop on, when you go to scrape the poo, it helps a great deal to have some sand or PDZ (I favor sand now) at least sprinked across it (or in a layer if you prefer) so as to help prevent the poo from sticking to the board. I wear an N95 mask when sifting sand.

This is especially helpful when encountering caecal poos or if someone has a touch of diarrhea.

But when you have a tray that you take outside to scrape off, it wastes the substrate and also makes it too heavy.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Songster

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I like the granulated PDZ mixed with some sand because:

Reduces ammonia odor.

Poops don't stick to the board, especially in winter......
    ........but mine is lined with heavy duty foam backed vinyl sheet flooring.

I think the sifting is easier than scraping, some sand clings to poops keeps it from sticking to anything.

Sand mix only needs to be about 1/2" deep....any deeper and they want to dust bathe in it.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: