Dry feather remedy?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FabulousMandy, Dec 28, 2009.

1. FabulousMandy

FabulousMandy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    My sex link has very dry feathers. Since her feathers are so dry the dirt really clings to her when she takes a dust bath, and when it rains the poor thing gets pretty soaked (luckily she's smart enough to run into the coop when the rain really starts to come down), so I was wondering if there's anything I can do to help her oil up her feathers. Maybe a bath? I was just looking at a thread where someone gave their chickie a bath and I kind of really want to do it lol. Maybe a little rub down with some type of oil? Avocados? I don't think it's anything that's actually bothering her, but I like my girls to be as happy as possible, and I'm sure she'd appreciate slick feathers.

side note: I'm not worried about it being a sign of disease because she's had dry feathers for quite a long time and she's a very healthy, very active, and very productive little hen. I think maybe laying an egg every single day is probably the problem [​IMG].

As always I appreciate any and all little tips and tidbits of advice!

2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    You might try some oil. You might also make sure you check for parasites like mites or lice. I would add some vitamins to her water as well.

3. dappertophatter

dappertophatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    The Jersey Shore
    Check to see if her oil gland near the base of her tail is plugged up- that could be a problem.
    I really wouldn't put anything on her feathers- she could be a very sticky chicken, and that's probably not what you want.
    A bath and parasite check would help, too.
    Good luck (have fun if you give her a bath, don't forget her rubber ducky![​IMG])

4. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    How do you tell if a chicken has dry feathers?

5. FabulousMandy

FabulousMandy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Quote:Instead of the feathers being glossy and sleek they're dull and frayed looking [​IMG].

Thanks for the help you guys! I think I'm going to give her a bath and check the oil gland and see if that helps. I've also heard of people spraying on an aerosol oil sheen (like afro sheen) to give show chickens a little extra gloss, but I don't know if I'm comfortable doing that. Seems like it could be a potential health hazard [​IMG]. If anyone has experience with that let me know!

6. kman

kman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    hattiesburg,MS
    i read in one of my books that you can give them cod liver oil in their food to but the shine back in their feathers makes sense to me cause i have done this for dogs and horse really really makes a difference in horses quick, never tried on chickens i think i read it in "storey's guide to raising chickens"

7. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    Try feeding them some BOSS, Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. I give mine some in a homemade scratch and their coats are shiney and glossy except after they've dusted themselves.

Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by