dry hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Scott Turner, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Scott Turner

Scott Turner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    Kentucky
    I know this topic has been discussed before but I would like to ask some pointers about this process. I have a genesis incubator and live in Kentucky where the humidity is high (93%) right now. I have never tried to dry hatch. I have the incubator running with no water in it and the humidity level in there is 27 % I have a humidifier running in the room to increase the rooms humidity. Should I not add water to the incubator at this point?

Thanks
    Scott

2. mbrobbins

mbrobbins Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Powder Springs, ga
    I have a genesis too, I keep my humidity between 25-40 during the incubation, increase the humidity above 60% during the hatch.
    It seems the air sac doesn't get as small during the lower humidity, allowing the embryo to turn in the shell while pipping. We have hi humidity in Georgia too, but it still dries out in the bator because of the heating element
    good luck
    Mary
    ps I have my bators going on now, need to get rid of the new porcelain d'uccle eggs and silkie eggs if anyone wants them, don't need to hatch anymore since my brooders are full ,too.

3. Scott Turner

Scott Turner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the reply. Do you add any water at all to the incubator if the level is around 25%. I have a digital thermometer in the incubator that measures the humidity. I don't have any way of telling the humidity in the room the incubator is in though.
    Scott

4. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

I do dry hatch. Normally, I would add a little water to keep it between 30 to 40 percent, but it's been so humid here I didn't have to add any water this round. My humidity has been between 40 to 45 percent without any water so far. I usually just keep an eye on the humidity and add water if it drops below 20 percent. Just check the air sac when you candle. It it appears too large, add a little bit of water. If it looks a little small don't add any, and check again in a couple days. That's how I do it anyway. Hope that helps. I also keep both the red plugs out. During lockdown, and hatch I might add one plug if I need to raise the humidity a little bit.

I use a hovabator 2632N

Bluemoon

5. KatGold

KatGold Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm very curious about this whole hatching in the south business.

I'm in Central Texas and we have high humidity. My bator is usually inside, were the a/c keeps the humidity low.

If I want to increase my humidity, is there anything wrong with relocating the bator to the outside patio?

I posted a thread earlier about this, but I was reading and saw this and wanted to connect directly with other people in highly humid areas.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by