DRY INCUBATING hatching today

mark3208

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 22, 2008
ohio
Set 42 eggs in styrofoam hovabator to try dry incubating. Removed four at day 12 after candleing. moisture stayed at around 30 to 35%,but dropped below 25% for a few days.I somehow resisted the urge to add water.Today is day 21 and eggs are hatching like clockwork. Ten have hatched so far,several more have pipped. after the first 2 eggs started hatching,the moisture level went from 35%to 92% in a couple of hours,im debating whether to vent the moisture down a little,i think i will just leave them alone and see what happens.

It wouldn't hurt them to vent it a bit, but it also shouldn't hurt them to just leave it like it is. You should have raised the humidity up to at least 50% for the hatch, though. But good job anyway!!

On day 18 you should pull the plugs out to get fresh air for the chicks and up the hum to 65%ish. I would take a vent plug out 95% is way to high, the chicks are at risk of drowning in there shell.

ETA: Read this on dry incubation it might help you understand it a little better.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom