Dry incubating in a building with no temp control

ShadyHillFarm

Songster
6 Years
Feb 26, 2013
NW Georgia
I've got my incubator set up and running and was prepared to add eggs when I ran across the information about dry incubating. I'd love to give it a try, but I'm not sure I can. The building that we have the incubator in is an outdoor building without temperature control. It's normally very cool; I'd guess about 50-55 degrees. Would this method even work if I was unable to control temperature/humidity within the room? I'm using a LG 9200 still air with an egg turner.

I think you are asking for a bad hatch, they recommend the still air 9200 be in a room with temp between 65 and 72, and stable temp, that low it is not going to be able to heat up correctly, and as the temps vary so does your incubator.

I've successfully run my Little Giant foam at 62F, never tried lower or wildly inconsistent temps.

If you run the incubator inside another enclosure, like a deck box, that may be enough to maintain ambient temps within specification.

Gosh we barely keep our house at 65. Thank you for that information though! I would have never known. My husband doesn't want me to have it running in the house. Scared of the fire hazard.
hmm.png
It's on loan from a friend who gave me just the basic run down. If I waited until summer, I could get the appropriate temps, but I'd run the risk of it being too hot then.

Unless you hang a rag on the heating element, there isn't much chance of fire. The incubators are UL listed, which means safe when used as directed. Not necessarily safe for the eggs, but at least safe for your house.

I've been running mine on the stretcher of an antique oak table for the last two months. The exterior never gets warm. The heating element will mildly blister skin on direct contact, but it's not an open flame, just a hot resistance wire in an aluminum tube.

It's safe. Don't cover it with a blanket or towel, though.

Last edited:
Thank you all. I revisited the conversation with the hubby last night and it's still a no go. I realized I do have a small thermostatic electric heater I could put in the building. I'm really just concerned about the night time temps. It's still pretty chilly at night here in GA. The structure is insulated and completely enclosed. I let the incubator run all night though just to see the temp difference. It had stayed at a steady 100 all day, but by this morning was down to 97. I think if I can get this heater in there I should be good to go. I appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom