Dry incubation... how dry is too dry?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkies4penny, Jan 3, 2012.

1. silkies4penny

silkies4penny Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2011
    Fayetteville, WV
    Im running my incubator empty waiting for shipped eggs, My humidity is reading 16%. I was going to try a dry incubation for days 1-18, but I thought this might be too low. any thoughts? Im hatching 24 silkies from CJ's Silkies... dont want to screw these up:)

2. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    I try to keep my incubator above 25%, but have had it dip down to the teens. The eggs tend to lose weight a bit quick when the humidity is that low. You only want to lose ~13% of the eggs weight over 18 days. [​IMG]

3. fatbassetvineyards

fatbassetvineyards Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Redding CA
    I have tried dry incubation. My area is already dry so it was less successful. I like 25 -35% humidity until lockdown. I just put 25 into lockdown. I had 42, many of them were shipped eggs. All that were good at day 10 went into lockdown so I am very happy. I would advise to look at your humidity in your area. Good luck!

4. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I am in Northern CA and I use dry incubation. My incubator humidity is 20% with no water added. I do not use my incubator to hatch. When I move my eggs to hatch, my hatcher humidity is set at 35%. I have a decent hatch rate.

Lanae

5. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Quote:I only use dry incubation! My humidity sits between 16% and 20% and I hardly ever open the doors. Usually just once a week to place eggs in the hatcher and to put more in the incubator!
    I have tried keeping the humidity around 25% but it was very difficult and I had to worry about keeping water in my incubator. Now I don't worry about the water and I have great hatch rates and one less thing to worry about!0

As for hatching I have a dish that I fill up every 3-4 days and it keeps it about 22-25%.

Nate

6. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    Great question... I was wondering, too.

For you that keep your humidity so low during hatch... you don't have any shrink wrapping problems???

I have had two hatches now. Both times the first chick to pip took more than 24 hours to hatch and both got a little shrink wrapped and needed help. Other chicks from both hatches pipped and zipped faster and didn't have any issues. I kept lockdown humidity pretty high trying to avoid the shrink wrap (75%). Most people say that higher humidity is useful for lockdown, so I'm really curious about low humidity for lockdown.

Humidity for me without adding water is around 16%. I'm going to try keeping it between 20 and 30% during days 1-18 and see how that goes. I weighed all my eggs, though, so I will adjust too, if they lose too muc weight.

7. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I bump the humidity up to 25% or so for hatching and I rarely have any problems. Shrink raping is caused from opening the door causing a rush of cold air and letting the humid air in.

Nate

8. silkies4penny

Nov 23, 2011
    Fayetteville, WV
    my last hatch I did about 25-30% for days 1-18 and 60% at lockdown, I had 6 eggs in lockdown and only one hatched and it was deformed. I think my problem was that the room my bator was in wasnt heated and changed temp too much, thus making my bator very hard to stay stable... and I took the chick out about ten hours after hatching killing the others by shrink wrapping them like a total noob...

9. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    How do you add water, turn the eggs and candle them without the eggs getting chilled?

10. silkies4penny

Nov 23, 2011
    Fayetteville, WV
    I add water with a little hose during lockdown, the rest of the time I just open it and add water when needed. I candle on day 10 and 17 only, and just take one egg out at a time... shouldnt hurt them at all, and I have an automatic turner

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by