dry incubation or not?? please help!

circlecfarms

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 24, 2011
Columbia MO
I am setting three incubaters this week, two with quail eggs, and the other with chicken and duck eggs.... i am trying to decide if i want to do a dry incubation or not... i guess thats what it is called when there is no water in there... i have had water in my other incubator and it seems to be doing ok but it keeps going up and down and there is not much i can do... so does dry incubation work for quail chicken and duck eggs???
Please let me know what you do... they will all be moved to a hatcher i just want to know what works for the incubation time before lockdown and what you do for lockdown!
Thanks!!!

Hello,

From my personal expiriences, I would do the dry method with quail and chickens. I have had very good hatches using the dry method.
But for duck eggs I would not recommend using the dry method as duck eggs naturally need quite a bit of more humidity.

I had a very successful first chicken hatch (100%) using the dry method. But it is my first and only hatch so far. Not sure if my opinion should matter. lol Good luck to you either way you go.

Last edited:
well i only have one duck in there right now... so maybe i can figure something out... so what do you do for the lockdown then? add lots of water to get the humidity up where it shouldbe?
Thanks

I filled the water wells and added sponges soaked in warm water. To get the humidity up. I kept mine between 60-70% If it got over 70 I pulled up one of the windows to vent some more. If the humidity dropped I added hot water with a straw to the sponges. Hope that helps

I'm doing my first hatch as a semi-dry incubation. (chicken eggs, LG still air) I added a squirt every couple days to keep the humidity over 20% but it never went over 37%. Now they are hatching. On lock-down I put water in the little channels and added a couple damp rags. The humidity has been a little too high... 69-78%. Most seem to be hatching ok. My problem is that several are hatching from the small side and getting stuck there... I don't think that has anything to do with dry hatch. I was naughty and helped one out and it's neck and torso were all deformed, very creepy and sad.

Back
Top Bottom