1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dry incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by panner123, Nov 27, 2008.

1. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I found an article on dry incubation by Bill Worrell.
    It is what I have been saying all along, only he says it much better than I. If I could figure out how to add a link to it I would . But I don't so if you want to read it you will have to go to it. Following his advice your hatch rates should be around 90% average. It is on the Marans of America message board under eggs and hatching, How to's of hatching. Article title Cackles: dry incubation by Bill Worell. All I can say is it is worth all the trouble for the knowledge you can get.

2. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    panner 123
    thanks for the info.

3. doubleostud

doubleostud Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    I've read the article too, I played around with a semi wet incubation a few times then switched to just dry and had great results, now normally I hatch all but a few eggs without a problem.

4. Trollkiller

Trollkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Lake Como, Fl. 32157
  5. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Yup, that is the article that I read as well. I am getting better hatches.

6. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Bill has some great information and statistics regarding The Dry Method of Incubation. I would caution anyone that lives in a dry climate to be careful especially if you are NOT using a Styrofoam incubator. Bill's observations are specifically comparing the HovaBator type incubator. I can use the dry method in the summer where I live but winter is dry here and it does not work nearly as well. No matter which method you use, it is important to compare you air cell size during the incubation process to the guidelines. I find that works great. You may have to adjust you humidity up or down depending on the amount of evaporation going on inside the egg. [​IMG] This diagram shows the proper air cell size during the 21 day process.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I agree, I used dry incubation this summer, but now that it has cooled down and the humidity is a lot lower I have to keep my humidity at least 45% or I loose all the eggs. I do better (right now) with the humidity over 50% for the whole time, then bumping it to 70% at the end.

8. doubleostud

doubleostud Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Luckily I have a well insulated garage that stays about 45% so it makes it nice for me, half the time I can just take on of the plugs out the last couple of days and it will go to about 50% then i just add a touch of water and a few days later I have a bunch of fuzzballs running around

9. Litewings

Litewings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    I wonder how different it would be trying this method in a GQF 1500 incubator.

Litewings

10. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:I tried it on ONE hatch-never again. Eggs dried up to about half of their original weight. NOTHING made it. Of course, we have VERY low humidity here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by