Dry skin, red inflammation

BauerWFarm

Songster
Jul 5, 2022
I have been having this issue for a while with just a few of my hens and I would love to find a solution or at least understand what is going on because it's only with certain hens.... Usually my Speckled Sussex have extremely dry skin on their breast bone..... with one spot usually callus and the skin can peel off in a big flake... Sort of reminds me of when your sunburned and can peel the dead skin off.... There is also usually a red inflammation of the skin at the chest, or the whole stomach and even down low closer to her legs.... My SS have molted and are fat little balls and have been roosting inside their coop and I do not see any signs of this anymore.... and they did for a long time..... I have a barnevelder that is molting, and has always had these same symptoms. At the moment they seem worse.... I tried various things advertised for poultry nothing worked.... so I tried black castor oil. It seems to really be improving the dehydration. however those red splotches are still there...... I would love to get some experienced advice on this. My hens eat very well, they are parasite free, and happy.

I meant to take photos and always forget when I am treating them. I will try to get some if that will help me and my girls better.

Thanks, Courtney

Wierd. Is it a brooding patch? Bag balm might help her too.
Nope.... no broodies at the moment lol..... The barnevelder is molting... she is also underweight.... I've considered separating her because it makes it easier for me to tend to her more.... but it's something ive always had at least 3 hens I can think of that has it... I tried corona cream.... nope, I guess I could try other ointment like things..... so far, the extra black castor oil seems to have been improving it but its not gone and neither are those red splashes.,

Nope.... no broodies at the moment lol..... The barnevelder is molting... she is also underweight.... I've considered separating her because it makes it easier for me to tend to her more.... but it's something ive always had at least 3 hens I can think of that has it... I tried corona cream.... nope, I guess I could try other ointment like things..... so far, the extra black castor oil seems to have been improving it but its not gone and neither are those red splashes.,
Actually I forgot to mention that their feathers usually arent as think as well... its really weird.

Your birds are probably rubbing their breast bone on the roost bar at night causing the irritation, redness etc...
You can wrap rags around the roost bar to prevent this from happening or round foam insulation used for exposed pipes in freezing temps.

Back
Top Bottom