Dual Purpose Birds?

Chef Pizghetti

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 17, 2012
Hi All,

I'm still relatively new to this site and to keeping chickens, and currently have a mixed flock of 4 hens. I'm planning do do some expansion and add a few extra birds next year. I decided to get chickens primarily for egg laying, but looking at some of the hens (my speckled sussex in particular), they are huge bodied birds! I don't anticipate having to thin the flock anytime soon, but was wondering:

- Are older laying birds (2-3 years old) worthwile for eating (not too tough)?
- Are there egg laying breeds (other than leghorns) that aren't good for the table?
- Does it cause the other birds significant stress and disrupt the pecking order when you remove their flockmates?
- How should I handle introducing new birds (before I remove the older ones, or afterward)?

Just looking for any experience that other members have had.

Thanks,
Omari

ive heared different ideas on wether old birds are worth eating....some have said 'ewww, disgusting' whiles others think using them in stews and such is a good idea.
Most chickens are fine for eating, just that the hens of egg laying breeds are prized for their egg laying and arent used fro dinner. of course, if u get roosters of an egg laying breed, and dont want them for breeding, then they would work just as well for eating.

Last edited:
I think the old layers are great!!!. You just have to remember that you can't roast it and have great chicken. Try a crockpot or Couq of Vin. They will be very flavorful but chewier. Long, slow, moist heat will make them quite edible.

Hi, just bought 20 Barred Rock as our dual purpose chicken, told they lay well and get large....med-large eggs, am after meat...what have you chosen? good luck..all info great....thanks

Back
Top Bottom