Dual-Purpose Flock Owners UNITE!

Loving this thread! I'm in the middle of becoming self sufficient. It's about time to till the garden.

Anybody do rabbits? They are very sustainable. That is my next project.

Subscribing and going back to page 9 so I can read the whole thing.

I've been wanting to have a self sustaining flock since my second year of chicken rearing. I think I am getting there though I expect I will have only one or two broody hens this year out of 16. I had 2 last year but one left the nest about 10 days from hatch, and she had a problem busting eggs too. The other was a great mama (welsummer) I am hoping by adding in a few heritage breeds with broodiness I will get a few next spring that will be good mamas.

Someone mentioned here that they liked turkens as a meat bird? I tried hatching some last year and managed one goofy roo, but he is small by comparison to the rest of my Roos. I've got some Cochin/buckey crosses, buckeye, and even my Americauna is larger! I keep him because he was my daughter's baby since he hatched all by himself, but he is about the size of my hens. Maybe it's because he was a mix with a frizzle? He is one crazy looking bird!

I've read a lot of this thread and am not seeing weights of culled birds listed.

I think it would be helpful information for those wanting a dual purpose flock. Age and weights of dual purpose birds of each breed. Birds used in the broiler industry prior to CronshX like pure bred New Hampshire and Delaware would be interesting to see that information on. They were bred for early maturing meat carcass which in turn leads to early layers. Unless a breed needs to mature slowly for color pattern we should always breed for early maturing.

We culled a bunch of cockerels for 4th of July grilling last year. Was surprised at the size at 14 weeks, estimating 3+ lbs dressed. They were a bit tough for grilling at that age though. Tasty but a bit tough. Going to try cockerels for grill at 10 and then 12 weeks old this year. Will have actual weights on them too.

I rarely weigh birds unless someone has asked specifically what weights were on them, as in meat birds, etc. Weights don't mean a whole lot to me...I can eyeball a bird to tell if it's appropriately big and meaty enough for my taste and if I cannot eyeball it due to feather fluff, I can pick it up and feel how heavy it is. Then, when I shuck it down to the meat I can tell if it's a good size as well.

I'm not much one for keeping specific records...a bird is either heavy or not.

Great thread while we are talking dual purpose birds what about taste-breed or is a chicken a chicken achicken

A chicken is a chicken, though you'll hear all sorts of opinions on that. Many are convinced that their breeds taste better than others. I've come to know that it has more to do with diet and age of the bird than anything else. I've eaten many breeds of chicken but have found that they all taste like chicken.

Greetings All!

Looking for others who are raising dual-purpose flocks....

I'm not meaning a laying flock and a meat flock at the same location, but one group of chickens doing double duty.

Edited to add:

When I TRY to ask about the best birds/crosses for dual purpose, most of the time I get told to buy this or that meat-specific bird, butcher at 6 - 16 weeks, and away ya go...... or cross this for that sex-link (first generation), and try eating those. Either way, they're talking regular purchases of outside source eggs/birds... and that's NOT what I mean at all.

I'm talking about a Self-perpetuating, multi-generational, decent table meat, decent egg layers, true Old-Fashioned Farmyard flock.
If you've got too many roosters, you butcher the excess... If you have too many hens, or hens that aren't producing the way you expect... you butcher..... If you got company coming, and nothing in the freezer, you go grab a chicken, quickly butcher one out, and plan accordingly.

I'm talking Out on the Frontier, Before the Civil War... type of farmyard flock. One group of chickens does it all!

Kathy

Mods- if this is the wrong place, please move.... didn't know whether to put this in the Meat Birds, Breeds & Genetics, Where are you?, or where. Tks.
I wanna be! Will soon be trying a 2nd generation hen that's just too mean. Will get there.... Orpintons.

That's like asking what's the best car. My suggestion is get a mixed flock assorted large fowl from say Cackle then modify your own flock to your needs find a good layer keep her if not cull her. Once you find a good meat bird to suit your needs keep some breeding stock. The perfect chicken in Tenn. May not be in main or Texas so it's a craps shoot. IF you want an opinion poll looks under breeds and evaluate pros and cons and traits good for YOU then make an informed discussion. You'll find your question is like asking which is better Ford or Chevy. The right answer is it depends. Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom