Dual-Purpose Flock Owners UNITE!

I've been seeing a lot about Buckeye breed lately. We will definitely put them at the top of the list...would they do well with RIR and BPR?

I would think so. Haven't had those breeds specifically, but the breeds I have had in with Buckeyes (when I've mixed them) have worked well. Buckeyes are not super aggressive with other birds, but hold their own well, and aren't pushovers either, if you know what I mean. They go along to get along.

I think I have spent close to an hour reading this thread and still have more to read. Great information. This is my plan for my flock. My goal is to have the birds work for their keep. We do not have our chickens yet, as I am still trying to figure out what breed to invest in. I am looking forward to the day when I do not have to feed my children store bought eggs and chicken...only a few more months.

Newbie here! Hello All! I wanted to know how long can you keep a dual purpose bird laying eggs before the meet is no good? Does that make sense? I am thinking of the phrase "tough old bird"! Can my girls lay eggs for 2 years before I butcher them for the freezer? Is there a magic number that if you cross X amount of years then you can no longer eat the meat or the meat is not as good?

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and knowledge!
yippiechickie.gif

I think generally when people think of dual purpose birds, we consider the males for meat and the females for eggs. I know I don't usually bother butchering old hens for meat, although I suppose some folks might make soup out of them once they are "used up."

Personally, if I am not keeping a hen past three years of age for breeding purposes, I sell her as a generic laying hen locally. Hens older than that that I do keep, I do so because they have very specific qualities or a line I wish to retain, and keep them even though they are not at peak production. I have one such hen from 2009 which I keep because she has wonderful type and treasure every egg she lays, regardless of how few they are.

So, I don't know how to answer your question, really, but did want to give it some perspective.
smile.png

I have just started this idea of early 1900's flock and picked Australorp, Wyandotte and Buckeye along with silkie bantam if the dual purpose breeds do not go broody often enough.

the cubalaya hens are still laying strong at 3 and 4 years old. in fact, i don't think they reach their full mature weight until 3. after breeding them for 4 years, they can still be sold for top dollar as laying hens. slow roasting an old hen, while it is very tasty, doesn't happen often around here. we keep some older hens past 4 years because of their production and we have become attached to them. the extra cockerels, when processed before 26 weeks, are tender and good.

Newbie here! Hello All! I wanted to know how long can you keep a dual purpose bird laying eggs before the meet is no good? Does that make sense? I am thinking of the phrase "tough old bird"! Can my girls lay eggs for 2 years before I butcher them for the freezer? Is there a magic number that if you cross X amount of years then you can no longer eat the meat or the meat is not as good?

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and knowledge!
yippiechickie.gif
I don't think you ever have to worry about their meat being "no good." I keep my laying hens for around 2-4 years before they go to the stew pot. I think you'll find your "magic number" when production slows down to the point where you're not getting what you need for your family any longer and it's time to add some young blood to the flock. At that point, your old stock can be turned into meat and the flavor will be amazing, but they will definitely need to be slow cooked, stewed, used for stock/soups or brined before roasting. Good luck! :)

My husband and I were just discussing "old hens". Still not sure what we want to do with thembut glad to know soup chicken is till an option....although I have one that I'm already attached to so she will most likely die of old age and have a back yard burial one day... I figured getting attached to one will keep me from loving them ALL and never having any meat!

I am very interested in doing this too.

I hatched out several pure buff orpingtons and light sussex, (both from breeders not hatchery birds) that I want to breed separately for hatching eggs, and also together to see if a X would be better or just creating another mutt chicken.

I have a bunch of smaller, lesser quality birds from backyard breeders too that we will process as needed (EEs, welsummers,) but they were chosen more for egg color variety rather than large birds for meat.

I have so much to read tonight, but I just wanted to say hi and this is just the thread I've been looking for! My core flock is 13 mos old, originally intended for laying only (with unproductive hens processed out), and came from a hatchery. I've since decided to go dual purpose with heritage Delawares, so I'm slowly phasing out my old flock except for maybe a half dozen different colored layers.

Back
Top Bottom