dubbing

LinckHillPoultry

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2008
Pennsylvania
Can anyone give me simple step-by-step instructions on how to dub a bird. Mine have minor cases of frostbite, and I'd like to eliminate any frostbite problems. My one was dubbed from his earlier owner... but I am not experienced with dubbing and some of my cockerals have very large combs.

I don't have time to write out everything right now because I'm on my way to class, but I will asap! I dubbed a bunch of birds a few years back and got to see how it's down. You need to have a pretty strong stomach though. There can be a lot of blood!

I have instructions on dubbing on my site HERE . If you still need help, let me know, I have done my share of dubbing...good luck!

I was just going to give you CUDA's website and he posted at the same time, lol. It was very informative, it should give you everything you need to know. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the kind words chickenlady!
big_smile.png

Hi Cuda,

I am new to BYC but I read your link and also watched youtube video on dubbing. Mine went bad. The rooster bled out through his comb. There must have been a artery that I hit and could not stop the flow. I had even cut higher than you showed. Was he too old? I was doing this because he was getting frostbite on the tips of his comb. And of course he was a favorite.

I am trying to find out what went wrong and how to prevent it if I give it another go. Any wisdom or light you can shed on this?
Thank you for any advice you can give.

Gage Guy

It can bleed allot sometimes. Especially if nothing is put on the bird after the dubbing. I use soap and sometimes Vaseline. It's hard to get the Vaseline to stay on sometimes but works well. But soap os the better of the two. Even the powdered. There are other Stop Bleeding applications, but these are the easiest most common. I just dip soap in a little water and rub on the spots. Stops bleeding almost immediately.

Back
Top Bottom