Dubias Love All-Flock Too

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
My sister raises Dubia roaches both for her own pet reptiles and to sell. She gave me a mini-colony -- meant more as a keep-them-alive-for-a-month-or-so facility while I fed them to my chickens.

Much to our surprise, they're actually breeding.

In a makeshift container on a diet of all-flock feed, watermelon rinds, and the occasional bit of leafy green stuff, bruised fruit, or slug-chewed tomato.

0905211034.jpg
0905211039.jpg

The chickens adore them and their nutritional content is excellent. I feed them live, except that I froze a few for young chicks (or fed them shed shells).

I have my micro-colony on top of the coop right now, but will have to move them into a heated space when it gets cold because they're not cold-tolerant at all.

My sister raises Dubia roaches both for her own pet reptiles and to sell. She gave me a mini-colony -- meant more as a keep-them-alive-for-a-month-or-so facility while I fed them to my chickens.

Much to our surprise, they're actually breeding.

In a makeshift container on a diet of all-flock feed, watermelon rinds, and the occasional bit of leafy green stuff, bruised fruit, or slug-chewed tomato.

View attachment 2823310View attachment 2823311

The chickens adore them and their nutritional content is excellent. I feed them live, except that I froze a few for young chicks (or fed them shed shells).

I have my micro-colony on top of the coop right now, but will have to move them into a heated space when it gets cold because they're not cold-tolerant at all.
Ahhhh .... no. My birds will just have to do with the critters that happen to wander into their run. Right now "Love Bugs" are the favored treat.

Back
Top Bottom