d'Uccle color genetics

Pics
what color would this sweetie be considered?

I purchased 4 "blue mottled", a black mottled and several other chicks 2 weeks ago. They were 3-5 days old at purchase. 3/4 of the blue have died, each a few days apart, while all others still seem healthy. Box temp is now 85-90, given regular chick starter feed, water with added vitamins and probiotics. Each chick started sleeping more, then slowly stops moving around, eventually loses use of legs and dies. Could this be a genetic issue? Or should I be concerned about disease and the other chicks who've been in with these the entire time?

Quote:

If you crossed a porcelain roo with lavender hens, all of the chicks should be lavender. You should not have produced a black chick.

Is it possible that one of your hens is blue and not lavender?

It would not be unusual for the chicks from the cross to be a solid color. The birds did not have a chance

If the mortality problem is genetic in nature, chances are the father would be the carrier of a recessive sex linked gene that is causing the death.

I would go ahead and hatch some more chicks and see what happens. If the offspring have a high mortality rate, you know the problem is due to genetics.

Tim

I have bought some porcelain d'uccles that were for show and the man I bought them from says that they are true porcelains with no millefluer in them. Is that possible? Because what I read it seems like you have to breed a lavender to a millefluer to get a porcelain. So, if I breed my two pairs of porcelains together what would I get??

I have bought some porcelain d'uccles that were for show and the man I bought them from says that they are true porcelains with no millefluer in them. Is that possible? Because what I read it seems like you have to breed a lavender to a millefluer to get a porcelain. So, if I breed my two pairs of porcelains together what would I get??

He doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about. Would make me question the quality of the birds since it sure doesn't sound like he's a show breeder.

Two porcelain will produce all porcelain offspring.
A porcelain is a mille fleur pattern with two copies of the lavender gene. Without the MF pattern it wouldn't be a porcelain.
You can breed porcelain to mille fleur and the offspring will look mille fleur but carry one lavender gene sight unseen. So the two can be crossed back and forth and used in a porcelain breeding group but the mille fleur pattern has to be there.

He doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about. Would make me question the quality of the birds since it sure doesn't sound like he's a show breeder.

Two porcelain will produce all porcelain offspring.
A porcelain is a mille fleur pattern with two copies of the lavender gene. Without the MF pattern it wouldn't be a porcelain.
You can breed porcelain to mille fleur and the offspring will look mille fleur but carry one lavender gene sight unseen. So the two can be crossed back and forth and used in a porcelain breeding group but the mille fleur pattern has to be there.

So breeding to porcelain together will still give me porcelain? What about breeding self blue hen to a porcelain roo? What offspring would I get then? im guessing some porcelains and mostly self blues?

So breeding to porcelain together will still give me porcelain? What about breeding self blue hen to a porcelain roo? What offspring would I get then? im guessing some porcelains and mostly self blues?

Breeding two porcelain together will give you all porcelain nothing else.
Breeding a self blue to a porcelain will give you zero porcelain. Imo unless you really know your genetics all youll get is a mess.
To get porcelain you need to get the lavender gene from each parent but you also need to get the MF pattern from each parent. You can't get that from the self blue.
Self blue is just extended black underneath the lavender.
You can do that cross and with the right breeding get back to porcelain in a couple generations but you will need to understand all genetics of both colors/patterns.

oh my gosh!! I`m new to this whole chicken thing. After reading this, I`m pretty sure I`ll just stick with EGGS, I would be devastated for my little chicks to die! :`-(

Breeding two porcelain together will give you all porcelain nothing else.
Breeding a self blue to a porcelain will give you zero porcelain. Imo unless you really know your genetics all youll get is a mess.
To get porcelain you need to get the lavender gene from each parent but you also need to get the MF pattern from each parent. You can't get that from the self blue.
Self blue is just extended black underneath the lavender.
You can do that cross and with the right breeding get back to porcelain in a couple generations but you will need to understand all genetics of both colors/patterns.

What do you mean I will get just a mess ? Will they be lavender or black or could it come out as any color instead of just one color?? What would be the possibility?

Back
Top Bottom