d'Uccle color genetics

Pics
Even though there is already a thread devoted to the love and admiration of the d'Uccle in this area, it hasn't actually focused specifically on the genetics and science of the breeding of the various varieties of the d'Uccle. It is our hope that this thread might be a serious forum for the discussion of the proper breeding of the d'Uccle with an eye toward improvement of type and color.

Pictures are welcome, but mostly to exemplify what you're breeding. We would appreciate it if you would limit your discussion to genetics, color, type, disposition, and breeding. That is not to say that we want this to be a totally dry and lifeless forum, but just our desire to avoid slipping into pet stories which is all too easy to do with these sweet birds.

If anyone that is interested in this topic has a better way of stating this or something to add, take away, or otherwise, PLEASE feel free to do so.
hi there do u think this could be a Millie she is about 8 weeks old

I am trying to figure out the genetics for brown red. This pullet, about 3-4 months old was purchased as a brown red. These are the first I have had of this color. What is the difference between black and brown red? Can you determine the difference in the two colors of chicks? I purchased 4 more chicks. Two are black with grayish chests, the other 2 are all black and a bit smaller. Will there be a difference in their adult colors?

She is hot...it was in the 90's here

Some of these are a bit blurred but I think you can still see what is necessary to make an assessment.
#1. This hen I have had over year. She was purchased as an adult roo and lucky for me...she wasn't! I just thought she looked more like a hen than a roo.
Is she a gold-neck???

I received all of the following chicks to include brown-red, blue mille fleur, and white. I didn't take pics of the white as I have no questions about those. I also received a couple of extras with no color given.

#2. The rather solid colored buff...is it a gold-neck? II don't see any white on it.

#3. This chick has some very lt buff but also black and white...what color is it supposed to be??

It is with the buff one here.

#4 and #5. Are these both brown red?
#4 has no white. #5...and there are 3 like this...has white on its chest.

Thanks for the help.
Deb

Last edited:
I can figure out some of the basic genetics for chickens...took genetics as part of my degree in college. I have been reading two threads, this one and D'uccle breeders Database. I can also use Kippenjungle to determine colors. With Kippenjungle my problem is not knowing if the color selection works for d'Uccles as well as for other chickens? I don't know the basics for d'Uccles genotypes or phenotypes
. So I guess the simplest example is blue. Is it a blue or a self blue? I just am not sure which genes to choose for the specific breed. OK...Brown-red..what do I use for the genetics of this color? brown-red...there is not just plain "brown-red" to start out with in the crosses. So, what do you use?
I can always design a chicken to the color I want on there but that doesn't mean the genes I used are the right ones to get there or if it matches up with the real genotype of the d'Uccle...Does this make sense?? I am here to learn the genetics behind the colors of d'Uccles.

One post I read, here or the other thread, said the thread was not for chit chat and told the person to go to the other thread... more or less. Well, I like doing that too as i can learn there, too... I guess I need to be in the right place for the help I need ......but is this the place to get started with the color genetics?
Maybe there should be these Threads...all for d'uccles
1. for chatting about your d'Uccles
2. genetics for beginner
3. Genetics for amateurs
4. Genetics for the advanced
LOL!!!

Anyway...I am here for the genetics. and determining color correctly.1st I need to know if I am using the correct genes for d'Uccles. eg is white dom or recessive...and I am assuming that it is rec.

With this stated... I have a mille fleur, gold-necks (or buff mottled or laced...I have to learn what the visual differences are.), brown-red, blue, blue mille fleur, and white. All pullets or as chicks. There may be a couple of others depending on the colors a few of my chicks turn out to be. I showed pics of those here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/331764/duccle-color-genetics/370

I don't want to keep but a few roos due to space restraints...uhhhhh...hubby orders.

So, if I keep one each of these colored hens, what 3 different colors of roos should I keep for breeding if the hens are of the same colors as chicks and hens I have??

Thanks a million
Deb

I can figure out some of the basic genetics for chickens...took genetics as part of my degree in college. I have been reading two threads, this one and D'uccle breeders Database. I can also use Kippenjungle to determine colors. With Kippenjungle my problem is not knowing if the color selection works for d'Uccles as well as for other chickens? I don't know the basics for d'Uccles genotypes or phenotypes
. So I guess the simplest example is blue. Is it a blue or a self blue? I just am not sure which genes to choose for the specific breed. OK...Brown-red..what do I use for the genetics of this color? brown-red...there is not just plain "brown-red" to start out with in the crosses. So, what do you use?
I can always design a chicken to the color I want on there but that doesn't mean the genes I used are the right ones to get there or if it matches up with the real genotype of the d'Uccle...Does this make sense?? I am here to learn the genetics behind the colors of d'Uccles.

One post I read, here or the other thread, said the thread was not for chit chat and told the person to go to the other thread... more or less. Well, I like doing that too as i can learn there, too... I guess I need to be in the right place for the help I need ......but is this the place to get started with the color genetics?
Maybe there should be these Threads...all for d'uccles
1. for chatting about your d'Uccles
2. genetics for beginner
3. Genetics for amateurs
4. Genetics for the advanced
LOL!!!

Anyway...I am here for the genetics. and determining color correctly.1st I need to know if I am using the correct genes for d'Uccles. eg is white dom or recessive...and I am assuming that it is rec.

With this stated... I have a mille fleur, gold-necks (or buff mottled or laced...I have to learn what the visual differences are.), brown-red, blue, blue mille fleur, and white. All pullets or as chicks. There may be a couple of others depending on the colors a few of my chicks turn out to be. I showed pics of those here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/331764/duccle-color-genetics/370

I don't want to keep but a few roos due to space restraints...uhhhhh...hubby orders.

So, if I keep one each of these colored hens, what 3 different colors of roos should I keep for breeding if the hens are of the same colors as chicks and hens I have??

Thanks a million
Deb

First, there are phenotypes and genotypes. And toss in that different countries sometimes have different names for the same variety.

Brown red is gold birchen: E^R/E^R s+/s+. Birchen is both a variety name and also the name of a major allele.

Laced is the phenotype of either black or one of its dilutions or dominant white literally causing a line (lace) that outlines the feather...with just a little bit of the ground colour (gold or silver) on the outside, as well as filling the inside of the feather.

Mottled is a spot of white (always, no other possibilities) at the tip of the feather.

Goldneck can either be splash or dominant white. Which of these is common in one country is not always common in a different country.

Blue and self blue are entirely separate genes. Blue is the blue gene, which is incompletely dominant; self-blue is the lavender gene, which is recessive. The phenotype also differs. A very good resource for Belgians is http://www.edelras.nl/belgians/ the author is EXTREMELY knowledgeable about chicken genetics. One of the pages lists the genotypes for different varieties.

TY that is very helpful! Is self blue the same as lavender? Do you happen to have any idea what the above chicks and hen colors are? Should I move that part to another forum?

Hello! This is my first post here. I'm going to be getting D'anvers this weekend and I was wondering if they're genetics were similar to the D'Uccles? If so, what would porcelain x blue create, and what would porcelain x black create?

Back
Top Bottom