1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

d'Uccle Mille Fleur Bantams?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kanat, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Kanat

Kanat Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2008
    NC
    Hi

How are Mille Fleur hens?

I have 5 standard chicken, a silkie, and 2 OEGBs sharing a coop (8* 4 ft and a lots of roosting space). Their pen is propably 10*25 ft or more.

The OEGBs are doing fine but I would like to have 2 more bantams so they would not feel like being the only "little ones."

Please, post some photos if you have!!!

Thanks

2. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Sorry, no pix, but the d'Uccle hens are nice. Still, why don't you consider the d'Anver breed? Either Quail or the black. They are definitely sweethearts.[​IMG]

3. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

Hmmm, I have two Mille Fleur D'Uccle hens that I will be breeding to Mr. Frizzy, my Frizzle Mille Fleur D'Uccle Rooster. I will also have slightly Mille Fleur Cochins, also Bantams, in the pen as well, to breed Bantam Frizzle Mille Fleur Cochins!

Mille Fleur D'Uccle Hen - Small, Talkative, very bright and intelligent. Not overly affectionate but not extremely skittish either, I enjoy them!
    [​IMG]

Mr. Frizzy - Mille Fleur D'Uccle Frizzle - Small, bratty, very "cocky" and enjoying the attention of his ladies.
    [​IMG]

The Bantam Mille Fleur cochins (they are very slightly colored) - Very friendly, cuddly, love to be held, quiet and friendly...hope they pass the "cuddly" gene on!
    [​IMG]

Tina

4. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  5. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    sorry no pictures... all of my millefleur dUccle are GREAT my little rooster is the DAD of ALL the mixed breed i own right now..he even breed the full size hens (i have babies to prove it)
    we call him the "old man" (he is the oldest rooster i have, at only4years old) even tho i have 4 other bantie roos.. he keeps them all in line and is the BOSS,, and yet still very nice to all humans..
    and i have several mille X bantie cochin, mix hens that are very pretty and very broody

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I don't have these... just silkies myself... but I have been weighing the idea... I think they are gorgeous birds!

7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    [​IMG]

These are a couple of my 3 millies. These were taken last summer, so they weren't fully mature yet. Will have to get more recent pictures because they are gorgeous ( I know I'm biased, but they did win at 2 different poultry shows, too).

Here's another of Georgie
    [​IMG]

These are the sweetest most personable birds I've ever owned. I plan on hatching out more. They are eye candy! Mine are a year old in June but still aren't laying. I don't care, though, because they are such sweetie pies!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  8. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll post pics later. But my d'Uccle birds were the absolute sweetest little things I've ever owned. The rooster and hens would follow me everywhere, even fly up and perch on my arms when I held them up for them to

9. Kanat

Kanat Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2008
    NC
    Gorgeous pictures!!! I would LOVE to have these chicken.

But.. Do d'Uccles do well with standard size chicken?

My flock is now a little bit "unbalanced" because I lost an OEGB Bantam Roo that took care of his 2 OEGB hens. I was thinking of getting two more little hens so that the two OEGBs would have some more "support."

The BIG RIR mix rooster is quite OK but he sometimes scares the OEGBs. I have thought to split the coop but it seems to be VERY difficult now... I had already split it for the Polish Cresteds...

It is difficult to get everybody liking each other when you have different breeds and sizes of chicken and the Rooster is a juvenile, clumsy, and slightly "bully' boy..[​IMG] He is about 7-8 months old, and no gentleman yet. [​IMG]

I am sure that my chicken have enough room and I try my provide my best that they have plenty of "stuff" to peck in the pen (enrichment).

Thanks!

10. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Thanks! I do love taking pictures of my millies. Even dress them up sometimes [​IMG]

One thing about d'Uccles is those birds can fly!
    If they don't like the rooster attention, they fly up and perch out of reach.
    If they don't think I'm paying enough attention to them, they fly up and land on my shoulders.

When a sudden snow squall scared one, she flew up about 15' up into a tree!

My millie roo is currently lusting after the standard hens.
    The millie hens are avoiding the attentions of the cochin frizzle roo.
    The millies have attitude and pluck, but if they don't have a safe zone a standard hen could really hurt them. Millies can't run far or fast on those feathered feet. Plus, if someone stands on their foot feathers then the millie is trapped.

We put our millies into a bantam pen away from all the big kids. But they do all free-range together in the afternoons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by