D'uccle questions........

CelesteG

Chirping
Feb 25, 2012
NC
I have a breeding trio of mille fleur D'uccles....and a few chicks and possibly more coming :hmm I purposely acquired the breed for breeding for hatching eggs. They have been residing in my front bedroom (currently a brooding room, etc... and an utter wreck!)

I want to move them outside and allow them to free range in my yard. Without going into a lot of detail - it's literally a back yard, in the city with fencing, blah blah blah - not a lot of predatory concerns.

My worry is flight...... How high and how far can a d'uccle make it when it takes off? Is this a breed that can be content to just forage around in the grass and dirt or will they try to take to any trees around?

Bottom line is, if I can't let them out to be yard ornaments - I'm probably going to be selling the whole mess of them.

Thanks!!

D'Uccles fly very well. They can go vertical, turn, and fly in any direction. I like to call them little helicopters. They can easily fly over a 10 foot fence.

They do love to stay near the coop though. They don't really like free ranging all over the place like the heavier breeds.

So if your yard is large enough you might be OK.

If you love them try them out- you can always sell them later?

They are a very easy to tame breed- they seem to love attention. The roosters can be ornery though.

Last edited:
Yeah, Mojo was such a sweetheart until he got girls - now he's kind of a jerk. LOVE Lucy & Ethel though. I'm going to try it, see how it goes and like you said, if they try to fly away, they'll get rehomed.

Back
Top Bottom