d'uccles

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by micayc, Jun 10, 2011.

1. micayc

micayc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2010
    Centrel PA
    I was given some young d'uccles. Do both sexes have big wattles and combs? I am not familier with this breed.

2. painterpeach

painterpeach Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    a what? [​IMG]
    Can you post a pic?

3. MinnerBuckwheat

MinnerBuckwheat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    West Michigan
    I thought all of my d'uccles were roosters (you can search for my post) and it turned out half were male, half female, 3 and 3. They do tend to have a big bigger combs than some other breeds at a young age. Pics would be helpful.

4. micayc

micayc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2010
    Centrel PA
    The lady who gave them to me said they were mille fluer,but someone on here said that was the color not a breed. [​IMG] I will get pics in tomarrow.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  5. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Quote:Yeah though that's partly an issue of regions. When I sell mine people ask me what it is I'm selling and they give me blank looks when I say D'uccles then go "Ooooooohhhhhhhhh okay" when I dumb it down with "They are millies." XD Hardly anyone is even certain how to pronounce D'uccle - I've surfed many a heated discussion on this one.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  6. Sunwren

Sunwren Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Ocala, FL
    I love that you asked this question because just tonight while doing barn chores I was wondering the exact same thing about my one Mille Fleur D'uccle. (If you just call them Mille Fleurs, what do you refer to the Porcelain D'uccles as? I was told it was pronounced like "Duck-ols" btw, is that not right?) Mine is about 8 weeks old and has so much comb I thought at first it was definitely a roo but realized I really don't know anything about the breed. Tried getting a photo but it was getting so late, if no one call tell much from this one I'll get a new one tomorrow. I'd love to know what it is, if its a roo there is a good chance I'll have to rehome it since I have an abundance of them at the moment and I really like this little one!

[​IMG]

Thanks!

7. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    Quote:That one is definately a roo. In d'uccles, the roos develop red combs very early, as early as 3 weeks. The hens hardly develop any comb at all.

Here is my mille fleur d'uccle boy.
    [​IMG]

To the OP, try to post some pics if you can. But large red combs probably means roos.

8. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:That's a boy....I have 2 hens and 3 roos...the hens have no combs at all...

9. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    Here are some pics of my 2 mille fleur and 1 porcelain d'uccle pullets (and the roo again) for comparison. As you can see the pullets have almost no comb at all.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope that helps. [​IMG]

10. Sunwren

Sunwren Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Ocala, FL
    Well darn! I'm going to have to do some serious thinking on which roo's get to stay versus which to rehome because this little guy may be a different breed but he makes me happy and is starting to become quite handsome [​IMG]

Thanks for the quick replies everyone! I think I knew i was grasping at straws.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by