duck and chicken question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Keene's coop, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    i have 3 1/2 chickens that are a year old. and i will be getting 1 pekin duck. i will be putting the duck in with the chickens in the same coop/run. the coop is 5'6"W x 5'9"L x 5'H. the run is 5'6"W x 19'L. will the chickens have issues with the duck being housed with them? or should i wait till spring when we get new chickens before we get a duck and let them grow up together.

2. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Well the duck could make the coop not fun for the chickens. Messes and stuff.

I say get more ducks.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  3. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I have 11 ducklings in with my mixed age chicken flock and they all get along. They don't really hang out together but no one fights. The ducklings are actually pretty big now but have been in there for 3 weeks. They are muscovies.

4. Wyo Chick

Wyo Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 4 swedish bluce ducks in with about 17 chickens and 1 bantam rooster and 4 banties. The chickens were about 3 years old when I put the duc ks with them. Ducks were a little afraid at first, but are fine now. Have had to work out water problems. I like clean water for my chickens and ducks don't!! But we have worked it out. They don't hand out together, but don't bother each other. Sometimes I wonder about the food. All I have is layer hen food and some corn and wheat scratch. I hope this is ok for ducks!

5. tgperg

tgperg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    How do you have 3 and a half chickens? [​IMG] I have ducks in the coop with my chickens and everybody's fine. I used to have guineas too and they were bullies. Tasty, tasty bullies.

Traci

6. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    the 1/2 chicken is a cochin [​IMG]

7. Totes Quackers

Totes Quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Melbourne
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have 1 duck (khaki campbell) in with 6 chooks, they free range in the day but share the coop/run in the evenings. I haven't had any issues. Mess just goes with ducks!

8. Wyo Chick

Wyo Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Keene's coop :

the 1/2 chicken is a cochin [​IMG]

LOL I was wondering what the 1/2 chicken was!!!​

9. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    We have 2 ducks in the same run and coop as the chickens and they do fine. We set up a water catcher in the coop so that the shavings did not get wet, and we just rinse it out every day. Our ducks actually love our rooster, and he loves them. They follow him around, rub up against him, and he goes and brings them little treats. They are a little nasty to the hens when they get in the duck's pool, but that is just a little nip and the hens get out right away.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  10. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    1/2 chicken- you mean cochin bantam? My standard cohin roo could count as 1 1/2 chickens.

The run is a good size so the chickens and duck should be ok. Don't be surprised if your Pekin just wants to hang out in the run over night, but you can probably train the Pekin to go inside the coop. My ducks and chickens that are in an aviary pen get along fine. but they have separate shelters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by