Duck and geese house

If possible could you show me a picture of your coop? My geese tend to not bother the ducks and got along with them pretty well. When I had introduced new ducks to them they didn't take to kindly to that, but now they are used to each other. I do recommend having geese.
That's good to know --- I really love the American Buff goose. I'll be looking for two or maybe a trio early this spring. I sure could use some help keeping the lush grass in my small orchard down!
I'll try to take some pics of the duck house today. In the meantime, here are a couple of the greenhouse, using cattle panels. We dug in a hardware cloth skirt on this one too as we have a resident rabbit. The greenhouse is also in a fenced garden, so we didn't go as heavy on the predator proofing.
For the duck coop, we used pvc as the hoop part and framed the front and framed up a pressure treated skirt to attach the hardware cloth around the base to dig in. This was several years ago and if we had known about cattle panels, we would have used them over pcv. We've since built the aforementioned cattle panel greenhouse that seconds as juvenile chicken/duck housing in the winter, and a little cattle panel goat barn. We probably look like real weirdos with hoop houses all over the place :)

Attachments

• 20180318_135652.jpg
    20180318_135652.jpg
    797.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180520_170658.jpg
    20180520_170658.jpg
    730.4 KB · Views: 16
That's good to know --- I really love the American Buff goose. I'll be looking for two or maybe a trio early this spring. I sure could use some help keeping the lush grass in my small orchard down!
I'll try to take some pics of the duck house today. In the meantime, here are a couple of the greenhouse, using cattle panels. We dug in a hardware cloth skirt on this one too as we have a resident rabbit. The greenhouse is also in a fenced garden, so we didn't go as heavy on the predator proofing.
For the duck coop, we used pvc as the hoop part and framed the front and framed up a pressure treated skirt to attach the hardware cloth around the base to dig in. This was several years ago and if we had known about cattle panels, we would have used them over pcv. We've since built the aforementioned cattle panel greenhouse that seconds as juvenile chicken/duck housing in the winter, and a little cattle panel goat barn. We probably look like real weirdos with hoop houses all over the place :)
The greenhouse looks amazing. :thumbsup

The greenhouse looks amazing. :thumbsup
Thanks! It sure does the trick. We have to side it with something else this summer. Those wood panels were just laying around but boy did they ever swell, even after staining! Going to use those lovely cheap fence boards from Lowe's come summer.
I really do love the hoop coop for birds, especially nasty, messy birds like ducks. I love em, but they are FILTHY creatures. Hoops are also pretty darn affordable to build and you can go super minimalist with them.

how many feet per duck would you need?

I think space depends on if you ever lock them in there. My ducks have a fully fenced pen that is safe for them to sleep in and also a house. They go in their house to lay (sometimes) and go in there to escape the sun at times, but rarely choose to spend the night in there and rarely all go in there at the same time. Ducks are quite content to be outdoors regardless the weather. (sorry I'm struggling to put together my thoughts) What I'm trying to say is that if you have plans to lock them in their house at night then they need more space in the house. Ducks don't seem to care about having a house most of the time and are happy to sleep outside, so you could just have a secure, fully fenced area that they can sleep in and a smaller sized house if you wanted.

Thanks! It sure does the trick. We have to side it with something else this summer. Those wood panels were just laying around but boy did they ever swell, even after staining! Going to use those lovely cheap fence boards from Lowe's come summer.
I really do love the hoop coop for birds, especially nasty, messy birds like ducks. I love em, but they are FILTHY creatures. Hoops are also pretty darn affordable to build and you can go super minimalist with them.

I am inspired by your greenhouse hoop! Now the wheels are turning in my brain. Summer plans...

I think space depends on if you ever lock them in there. My ducks have a fully fenced pen that is safe for them to sleep in and also a house. They go in their house to lay (sometimes) and go in there to escape the sun at times, but rarely choose to spend the night in there and rarely all go in there at the same time. Ducks are quite content to be outdoors regardless the weather. (sorry I'm struggling to put together my thoughts) What I'm trying to say is that if you have plans to lock them in their house at night then they need more space in the house. Ducks don't seem to care about having a house most of the time and are happy to sleep outside, so you could just have a secure, fully fenced area that they can sleep in and a smaller sized house if you wanted.
I agree. Our ducks would not go in a traditional coop. They like their hoop house because it's wire only (tarped in winter). They like being in the outdoors and do really well in the elements. I'd agree that it's not so much about keep them covered, just keeping them safe.

I love the hoop coops. I'll consider getting one for them.

I really can't recommend them enough! If you do end up building one, post pics! I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves seeing what folks come up with, especially based on geographical location.
I don't know when I'll make one as it is winter here. But I'll try to make it as soon as possible for my ducks.

Back
Top Bottom