Duck and Goose Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MaranDude, May 30, 2008.

1. MaranDude

MaranDude Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    On my Computer
    I just got this thought that I was totally unaware of. Are goose and duck eggs edible because I saw pictures of them and they are some big suckers?

2. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Yes they are edible I use my duck eggs for baking. They have very bright orange yokes and I think make anything you bake tastier. They make great omlets too. My MIL lives 2 1/2 hours away and drives up to get goose eggs. The last time she took 17 home. She likes to eat them for breakfast. Dont know what she'll do now that breeding season is over.lol

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:Edible, but some people do not care for their taste and sometimes their texture.

-Kim

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Nothing better than a duck egg over medium with buttery sourdough toast to dunk in the yolk.

5. MaranDude

MaranDude Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    On my Computer
    Thats sounds so yummy![​IMG]

6. fosterchick

fosterchick Chillin' With My Peeps

My family eat the duck eggs all the time because not many people buy them. I do have some people buy the duck eggs I get $5.00 a dozen and the people who buy them say I am cheap. My friend eats her goose eggs but when she opens them she spoons out some of the white (clear) part. She claims that reducing the part makes the egg taste better

7. professor-yellow

professor-yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    In proprtion there is more yolk in a duck egg, and are much richer than a chicken egg. if fried too long the whites get a little more rubbery in texture.

We have been getting 8 eggs a day since december and have converted many to the duck sgg and wil not go back. Most are squeamish because its a duck egg, not a chicken egg.

My daughter came up with the idea to sell a "Rainbow Pack" which is 6 duck eggs for the guy and 6 chicken aggs for the lady of the house.. Selling very well too.

If nothing else you can take a cheap box cake mix, substitute duck eggs and it comes out like its home made.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by