Duck Attacked By animal, Beak Wounds/Head Wounds. Help Anyone? Pictures

Meighan7989

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 28, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
Yesterday morning when I woke up and went outside to start my normal routine, my male Pekin duck Fella came to greet me at the fence covered in blood. He looked like he had committed a murder. (maybe cause he is white duck and red stands out on white) In the pen I also had a female mallard laying on eggs, which I found 5 of 19 eggs broken open and smashed around the pen, and the carcass of the mallard outside the pen 30 feet away with a broken neck and plucked. Tragic. :(
I brought fella inside and washed the blood off of him. He seems to have the most damage done to his bill. alot around the edges where it connects to his face. He also has a puncture wound on the back of his head, and what looks like a scrape near his eye. I first treated the wounds with hydrogen peroxide to get any intial dirt and such out of the way since I was unsure how long it had been since the attack. Im assuming around 4am because I heard the dog bark. and I found him around 8 am. I have been treating the wounds with 0.9% sodium chloride, and I have also been neosporin on them (original neosporin without the pain reducer) I have also put a electrolute and vitamin supplement in his water called "Sav-a-chick-electrolyte" He is quacking fine, and drinking normal. I have not seen him eat yet. I plan on keeping him in my bathroom till he gets better. I also noticed he has dried blood inside his nostrils, not sure how to get that out, he is not interested in bathing or cleaning them, I imagine cause it hurts him.

I am however worried about infection. Ive dealt with wounded animals before, but not a wounded duck :( I would like to know what to look for that would hint to me if infection is present. and also what to do if infection IS present. I read about penicillin G procaine injections- should I get that just in case, if so, can I purchase it from an Agway or Tractor Supply?

Please, anyone with experience post back. I love my ducky and want him to be alright.

Aaawww, I hope someone can give you some good advice, I would imagine it would be good to give him a shot of antibiotic, hopefully the wounds are not too bad and he will bounce back, he is probably in a bit of shock at the moment X

Yesterday morning when I woke up and went outside to start my normal routine, my male Pekin duck Fella came to greet me at the fence covered in blood. He looked like he had committed a murder. (maybe cause he is white duck and red stands out on white) In the pen I also had a female mallard laying on eggs, which I found 5 of 19 eggs broken open and smashed around the pen, and the carcass of the mallard outside the pen 30 feet away with a broken neck and plucked. Tragic. :(
I brought fella inside and washed the blood off of him. He seems to have the most damage done to his bill. alot around the edges where it connects to his face. He also has a puncture wound on the back of his head, and what looks like a scrape near his eye. I first treated the wounds with hydrogen peroxide to get any intial dirt and such out of the way since I was unsure how long it had been since the attack. Im assuming around 4am because I heard the dog bark. and I found him around 8 am. I have been treating the wounds with 0.9% sodium chloride, and I have also been neosporin on them (original neosporin without the pain reducer) I have also put a electrolute and vitamin supplement in his water called "Sav-a-chick-electrolyte" He is quacking fine, and drinking normal. I have not seen him eat yet. I plan on keeping him in my bathroom till he gets better. I also noticed he has dried blood inside his nostrils, not sure how to get that out, he is not interested in bathing or cleaning them, I imagine cause it hurts him.

I am however worried about infection. Ive dealt with wounded animals before, but not a wounded duck :( I would like to know what to look for that would hint to me if infection is present. and also what to do if infection IS present. I read about penicillin G procaine injections- should I get that just in case, if so, can I purchase it from an Agway or Tractor Supply?

Please, anyone with experience post back. I love my ducky and want him to be alright.

Shock most deff. can you put him in a warm bath that way he can clean out his nostrils good. also keep the wounds from closing to soon thats when infection will begin. make sure they are draining good. After he has had his first warm bath to clean himself up then start bathing him in epsom salt water, letting him soak in it for at least 30 min at a time. do this in a small tub so he doesn't drink the salt water. this will really help to get him cleaned of bacteria and help in healing.Ducks are very good at coming back from injuries like this. So sorry about your hen though, how did the pred get in? maybe do a through investigation of your pen and house to make sure it is better protected, it would be a shame to get your boy healed just to have whatever did this come back to finish the job. And it will too. Please keep us informed on how he is doing.

Ella is doing great!!!!!! He didnt want to bath in the bath tub so i brought him outside and put him in a frshly clean duck pool and he cleaned his nostrils out and got rid of majority of the dried blood around his bill! and enjoyed the bath itself, he was in it for about an hour. I continued saline solution on the wounds along with neosporin and an epsom salt soak. he is right back to his old personality, minus a few things. He does not like to be left alone outside (I dont blame him!!) I have been bringing him outside during the day to get some fresh air and sun and when I walk out of his sight he quacks obnoxiously. probably still scared. he is very weary of the pen, i felt horrible cause he very slowly and curiously walked over towards the duck house (probably to look for his lady) and you could just see the sadness. :-( ugh i get so emotional just thinking about it. how horrible to watch your mate and baby eggs get mutilated. I believe whatever got in the pen just climbed over the fencing. I have chicken wire at about 4 feet tall around the duck pen. I never secured the pen extra because we never really had a "predator" problem, I live on a pretty busy road, and have a very busy house, and a fenced in yard which is where the pen is. Lucky the hen even has birthed 15 ducklings during january which stayed in the heated duck house and no predators even came and they free ranged the yard once they got to be about a month old and they were never bothered. I also usually leave the gate to the pen open because ella likes to sit on the deck right outside our glass doors kinda guarding the house and yard, and the one night, where I actually shut the pen gate is when the predator struck. I am however re-doing the pen and adding chicken wire over the top and going over any areas that may look unstable. I have also put a latch hook on the duck house door and when ella is fully healed he will be sleeping in the duck house with the door locked. I also plan on putting chicken wire under the house just incase were dealing with a digging predator.

Ella is doing great!!!!!! He didnt want to bath in the bath tub so i brought him outside and put him in a frshly clean duck pool and he cleaned his nostrils out and got rid of majority of the dried blood around his bill! and enjoyed the bath itself, he was in it for about an hour. I continued saline solution on the wounds along with neosporin and an epsom salt soak. he is right back to his old personality, minus a few things. He does not like to be left alone outside (I dont blame him!!) I have been bringing him outside during the day to get some fresh air and sun and when I walk out of his sight he quacks obnoxiously. probably still scared. he is very weary of the pen, i felt horrible cause he very slowly and curiously walked over towards the duck house (probably to look for his lady) and you could just see the sadness. :-( ugh i get so emotional just thinking about it. how horrible to watch your mate and baby eggs get mutilated. I believe whatever got in the pen just climbed over the fencing. I have chicken wire at about 4 feet tall around the duck pen. I never secured the pen extra because we never really had a "predator" problem, I live on a pretty busy road, and have a very busy house, and a fenced in yard which is where the pen is. Lucky the hen even has birthed 15 ducklings during january which stayed in the heated duck house and no predators even came and they free ranged the yard once they got to be about a month old and they were never bothered. I also usually leave the gate to the pen open because ella likes to sit on the deck right outside our glass doors kinda guarding the house and yard, and the one night, where I actually shut the pen gate is when the predator struck. I am however re-doing the pen and adding chicken wire over the top and going over any areas that may look unstable. I have also put a latch hook on the duck house door and when ella is fully healed he will be sleeping in the duck house with the door locked. I also plan on putting chicken wire under the house just incase were dealing with a digging predator.
Thanks for the update on Ella, so happy to hear he is doing so well. And so sorry this has happened but now you know you have preds that will come even to a busy street and house hold for an easy meal and your doing the right thing by fixing it before he goes back outside. Are you going to get him a companion he will be very lonely and sad when he goes back outside. Might find something on Craigslist or even here on BYC buy sell trade thread close to you. Wishing you and Ella all the best.
hugs.gif

oh yes I surely am getting him a companion. I was thinking of a Rouen duck, since they are big like him. I may just get him two companions. I cant decide if i should get hens or drakes though. i dont know if just drakes can get along with eachother? at the same time, with hens, i'd have a duckling farm because Ella is quite the "loving" duck.

oh yes I surely am getting him a companion. I was thinking of a Rouen duck, since they are big like him. I may just get him two companions. I cant decide if i should get hens or drakes though. i dont know if just drakes can get along with eachother? at the same time, with hens, i'd have a duckling farm because Ella is quite the "loving" duck.
I bet Ella would appreciate girls more than drakes.. and ducklings are good, you know kinda like chicken math but better.
wink.png
But Ella needs a new name if he gets a couple girls to keep him happy.
smile.png
Oh and even if the ducks lay eggs doesn't mean you have to let them hatch them all they also can be eaten and used for baking.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom