Duck attacked by fox

Ranch1332

In the Brooder
Jan 7, 2022
My duck was attacked by fox 4 days ago. I noticed him getting weak. I started to tube feed him yesterday mid day. And he just passed on my peacefully. Could I have done something better to help him? Or is this just what happens you provide what you can and it depends on there little bodies to fight? I'm new to raising chickens and ducks. Please tell me what I could have done better. Or this is just how it goes.

My duck was attacked by fox 4 days ago. I noticed him getting weak. I started to tube feed him yesterday mid day. And he just passed on my peacefully. Could I have done something better to help him? Or is this just what happens you provide what you can and it depends on there little bodies to fight? I'm new to raising chickens and ducks. Please tell me what I could have done better. Or this is just how it goes.
Did you clean the wounds? And was he separated from the other ducks?

Did you clean the wounds? And was he separated from the other ducks?
Yes I cleaned the wounds well. Took him to vet to get looked at. They gave me antibiotics. The wounds actually looked like they were healing up. It happened so quick. He was drinking great thr night before then next day I noticed he was week. So I started to tube feed him thinking he was getting enough with syringe. Because he wasn't eating on his own. He tried just had no energy from day 1 of attack

I've also experienced fox attacks on my flock in the past, and sometimes they suffer internal injuries that can't been seen but are fatal. Think about a canid's bite pressure - it can do a lot of damage.

It sounds like you did everything you could to help him, but the attack was just too much for your drake to overcome.:hugs

Obviously, you don't want a recurrence, and that fox will very likely be back. Have you implemented measures to keep the rest of your birds safe already?

I've also experienced fox attacks on my flock in the past, and sometimes they suffer internal injuries that can't been seen but are fatal. Think about a canid's bite pressure - it can do a lot of damage.

It sounds like you did everything you could to help him, but the attack was just too much for your drake to overcome.:hugs

Obviously, you don't want a recurrence, and that fox will very likely be back. Have you implemented measures to keep the rest of your birds safe already?
I appreciate you taking time to respond and comfort me. I'm new to this flock life I hate but love it. Yes I sole with my husband on plan on what to do. In the meantime I let them out while I'm out could be an hour or 2 then out them back in until we have a secure place outside for them. This duck was my son's best friend 💔. Also what can I do for the other duck. I notice her call him. And she isn't going in the big pool ( they always went in together) I gave her extra treats and the rest of flock. Again I appreciate your comfort I NEED it.

I appreciate you taking time to respond and comfort me. I'm new to this flock life I hate but love it. Yes I sole with my husband on plan on what to do. In the meantime I let them out while I'm out could be an hour or 2 then out them back in until we have a secure place outside for them. This duck was my son's best friend 💔. Also what can I do for the other duck. I notice her call him. And she isn't going in the big pool ( they always went in together) I gave her extra treats and the rest of flock. Again I appreciate your comfort I NEED it.
What did you do with your lone duck? I’m having the same problem. We have raised two “pet” ducks for 2 years now, and yesterday two foxes came and got one of them. I don’t know WHAT to do with his sad mate.

No, not at all. We got out there pretty quickly, so they only got one of the two ducks.
Same like me. my duck was sad for a few days I notice she didn't even go in her pool for 2 days. So I gave her extra tasty treats and more attention. And she became happy again. The rest of the flock helped too. I know the mealworms in water is the ducks favorite.

Back
Top Bottom