Duck attacked

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BarrerasDucks, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @BarrerasDucks if you go ahead and share what you have learned with this forum we can try and get it in the stickies that way if someone comes here with an injured or attacked duck we can find your info fast since time is very important when something like this happens.
    Thanks

1 person likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @BarrerasDucks

thanks!

It's always good to have the voice of experience, who can distill vet information.

You may also, in addition to a writeup, want to put your offer in your signature so people can see that whenever you post.

1 person likes this.
  3. BarrerasDucks

BarrerasDucks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    Corbett, Oregon
    Sorry for the delayed response guys.

[​IMG]type/61/id/7476572/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Wow that looks nasty. what all did ya'll do to help her?

5. BarrerasDucks

Mar 24, 2015
    Corbett, Oregon
    [​IMG]

6. BarrerasDucks

Mar 24, 2015
    Corbett, Oregon
    [​IMG]

7. BarrerasDucks

Mar 24, 2015
    Corbett, Oregon
    The pictures are a little out of order.

This happened 13 days ago.

My Toulouse died while a coyote had Cuddles the Duck. Smellma my goose attacked the coyote and it then dropped Cuddles. The coyote took my baby girl! She was like our Family dog! My neighbor helplessly watched while I was gone.

Treatment....
    Work immediately! Clean the wound with warm water and antibacterial soap! Dawn to be specific! Dry the wound and wrap it. Separate her in her own pen! I made a small addition on my coop separated only by wire. It's my ICU if you will. Immediately go and get Betadine and I use "Farnam" Brand TRI+Care ointment. It keeps the flies off and is Triple Antibiotic. Get NON STICK gauze! It's the kind that has a plastic looking film on it. The other types of gauze peals healing off with it. Wipe down twice daily with Betadine Scrub not wash. Apply a really thick coat of Farnam, put your NON STICK gauze and here is the trick is was showed. Sew up anow old T Shirt into a tube about 8-10" long. Cut 2 leg holes and it should be tight enough to stay on over them like their own custom T-shirt. They don't like it but I think they don't like dying either LOL. Cut out leg holes. This keeps it on them. Make 2 and keep one always clean. This keeps them out of the wound and they can pick at their shirt all they want and the leg holes keep it on. Commit to doing this once before work and once after work. Or every 12 hours. The Betadine is key! Thoroughly clean with Betadine. After 3-5 days stop the tripole antibiotic. Use only Betadine Scrub NOT WASH. If there is puss get a syringe and inject into the bite. Flush out the puss with Betadine. Continue to wrap and change the NON STICK gauze. After 10 days she was stabbed over and growing feathers again.

Biggest things. Time isn't your friend! Flies are so bad it's not funny!!! Watch behavior! Does she eat, does she drink???

Last thing and I don't work for them! Put Nutri-Drench Poultry Drench in their water. Not only do they love it because of the molasses but it's loaded with Vitamins! It keeps them calm and relaxed. Keep low light and a quiet low stress area. They will rest.

Lastly... If it's horrible don't be afraid to sew them up. Your not winning any plastic surgery awards. Yes it's not going to feel great. Put a black towel over their head and have someone hold them. Use cat gut "I know gross" because the stitches devolve.

Lastly... Have the stuff ready! A first Avian Aid kit if you will!

Non Stick Gauze
    Betadine Scrub
    Cotton rags for cleaning NOT COTTON BALLS
    Farnam TRI+Care it's fly proof
    A duck T Shirt go on Esty or make 2
    NUTRI-DRENCH POULTRY DRENCH
    Quiet, Calm, Clean and Dry. That's the environment.

Send me an email with questions
    [email protected]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    2 people like this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She looks great, so very sorry you lost Smellma your goose though. That had to have been horrible to see.

9. BarrerasDucks

Mar 24, 2015
    Corbett, Oregon
    [​IMG]

That was my girl posing for a picture. She was my first goose. Bought her as a guard and she sacrificed her life for my ducks. I feel like I lost a family member. It's been very depressing. My delima...die free or live locked up...

I am buying 2 Llama and have set Coyote traps.
    I have a Brown Chinese, an Ancona and another Cayuga coming on Tuesday. I'll post pics of the new family members

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by