Duck Aviaries

blueoval1

Songster
11 Years
Oct 21, 2008
Raleigh N.C.
Hey everyone i am going to get some ornamental waterfowl to raise in an aviary and was wondering what types of plants should i plant. Also i have a pond liner i am going to use does anyone know an easy way to keep it clean. I would love to see pictures if you have them. Thanks

Last edited:
My ducks left the egg plants i planted and the pumpkins alone.Seems like they didny like those little prickles and tiny thorns those plants have. However they will eat tomatoes and pepper plants.

Make it as big as you can, then figure on making it bigger! The more room you make the better your plants and grasses will survive. When you say ornamental ducks I am assuming Mandarin and Wood ducks. The only plant I have not had luck with was ferns, everthing else I have tried has worked as long as you keep a manageable number of ducks in your aviary........by manageable I mean a number that will keep your pen green and not a giant mud pit.

Sometimes the excitement of getting some ducks can lead to obtaining too many at the beginning. Start with a pair and see what amount of work will be involved for your hobby. Both Mandarins and Wood ducks are great at breeding/hatching/rearing their own ducklings.

I use the EPDM rubber pond liner and a sewage pump. It is alot of work.........since you live in the warmer climates you might want to build yours (pond) above ground or even use a kiddie pool and put a drain out to a lower part of your property that you can easily empty/fill.

giffy
--------------------
GiffsFarm

aviary-const-14.jpg

Back
Top Bottom