Duck bedding Q

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fisharescary, Nov 12, 2010.

1. fisharescary

fisharescary Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Does anyone know if I can use pine needles, AKA 'pine straw' as bedding in a duck shelter or in their run? I've got monstrous amounts falling in my yard and I'm starting to run out of room to compost it even! (but not enough to sell commercially,of course. ) blows my mind that there are locals who have to pay for it.
    How about dead leaves? We have a 'live oak' that drops leaves in our yard too. Trying to make lemon out of lemonade here. Or, bedding and a garden out of a nuisance [​IMG]

Also, does anyone know where D.E. is on the P.H. scale? Eventually the used pine beddding would go to the garden, and I'm wondering how much amending it would need (unless D.E. and duck poop are alkaline enough to counter the pine. doubtful.)

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    both will work.

If you have more pine straw than you can deal with, try placing an ad in CL that you have pine straw if anybody wants to come rake it up. Seems that's a big thing down here. When it gets a bit colder, that's what I'll be putting in the duck house for their bedding.

3. quiltbea

quiltbea Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2009
    Southwestern Maine
    I know that pine needles lower the PH in soil, so you might not want to add too much to your compost piles.

Its good to add to blueberry bushes and potato patches, though.

I can't help you on the duck needs of pine straw. I still don't have my ducks yet.

4. HottentotTeal

HottentotTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    A while back, I considered pine straw, but currently don't have anything for them and don't know where to get it locally.

How about mold? how long could a few handfuls of this last with 2 small ducks?

I live in a very humid and sometimes wet area and hay and dried grasses mold too easy for me to use them.

I've heard straw is best to use in my climate, but i can't find a place that sells straw. They all sell hays.

5. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Pine straw and oak leaves are great. They are high in tannic acid, which prevents mold from growing on it. Plus they are great under shrubs as mulch chocking out weeds.

6. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    We have oak trees here thats good to know.. will use some.. We use straw.

7. HottentotTeal

Apr 12, 2010
    Cool,

they sell some pine straw bales in a town north of here, so maybe i can go buy one tomorrow.

8. fisharescary

fisharescary Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Quote:Sweet! We've already got a bunch working as mulch in several places, I really needed a new use for them.

9. HottentotTeal

Apr 12, 2010
    I was able to find a bale of pine straw at one of the feed stores in town, so i picked one up.

Thanks for the recommendation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by