Duck bedding

maplebendfarmmn

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 24, 2014
I currently have a flock of 10 Indian Runners. I am wondering what everyone uses for bedding for their ducks. My ducks are currently housed in the barn at night and have access to a large yard during the day. Their indoor pen is disgusting. I am constantly battling odor and wetness. I have tried straw and pine shavings for them. The pine definitely does a better job soaking up moisture, but I feel like I'm spending an arm and a leg to keep them in dry bedding! They do not have food or water in the barn overnight and they seem to do fine with this arrangement. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I use pine shavings and they work great for me! You just have to be sure to clean out their house every day to keep the mess in check. I actually clean mine twice a day. Since it gets dark so early here and they have to be put in their house before 5pm right now, I go in to visit with my ducks and clean their house real quick just before I go to bed at night. Then it's not nearly so gross in the morning, and they don't have to sleep in a poopy house all night. :)

I also have pretty big pens inside my duck house for the number of ducks I have, so that also helps keep the mess down. How big of an area do they have in there? Maybe they need more space if it's getting gross too quickly?

We just finished our duck and geese coop. I've placed a horse stall mat over the wood floor and can take it out (when I'm wanting a hernia) and hose it off. I've tried pine shavings, large and small; which becomes too expensive. Then I tried the wood pellets specifically made for animal housings. Very expensive, but unbelievably absorbent!! I wish I could use those full time. Now we're using hay that we got real cheap from a friend who wanted to sell it before it grew mold. At first no one liked going into the coop, but now that they're used to it, there's been no problems. And between layers of hay I'll cover the mess with DE which does a great job of keeping the smell down. I only go two or three layers and then it's a clean slate and start all over again. We haven't tried straw yet, seems to be at a premium where we live cause we can never find any in stock... We've placed a couple of nesting boxes filled with hay as well, but none of the ducks or geese are the least bit interested in laying / sitting in them. I'll probably pull those out this weekend, just taking up space.

Troy & Tina

I use shredded paper soft absorbent and no expense at all we all have papers from junk mail ,or waste paper every day. I found the shaving expensive and to damp also ingested as they forage through, I think it is not good with such a delicate respiratory system.

Pine shavings or straw. IF it's getting cooler at night you might want to try mixing. I put some shavings in with the straw in my coop for my chickens. My neighbor was using straw or shavings for her ducks (she bought both at different times).

I put a layer of plastic down and then alfafa on top. The alfalfa absorbs all the smell and moisture and they love to nibble on it! Its so easy to clean up and replace every 3-4 weeks!

@duckmanjim - great call on the plastic sheeting! I see <insert your favorite building materials store> in my very near future!!

Thanks for the idea / suggestion

Troy & Tina

@duckmanjim - great call on the plastic sheeting! I see <insert your favorite building materials store> in my very near future!!

Thanks for the idea / suggestion

Troy & Tina
I don't know about your geese but mine would probably chew the plastic and eat it, which wouldn't be good.

Back
Top Bottom